Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

OK. It didn't work out. Off I go to a new install.

If you can think of anything I forgot or I should give extra attention, please let me know.

Many thanks and keep your finger crossed for me. :)

EDIT 1

First step finished. 10.6.0 runs fine. WiFi, sound, keyboard, trackpad and battery meter working fine.

Downloading 10.6.6. Meanwhile installing Chameleon 2 RC5 r665 and EDP 1.5 RC6 on HD.

EDIT 2

Chameleon installed, EDP Extra folder installed in root folder, run edptool. No errors were reported. Installing 10.6.6 combo.

EDIT 3

Kernel Panic, Gray Screen Of Death.

Booted verbose. System is stuck on reporting the kernel version.

However, I can boot from stick into the new installation?! Battery is gone again but that was to be expected, since I am using the "old" combination of kexts.

Any ideas?

THX!

can you please list your bios config here.. .?

Whole BIOS config? Or just particular parts?

It's big. So, if you could tell me what you are looking for it's easier.

However, what strikes me funny is that CPU (panic report claims it incorrect configured) works if I boot from USB stick but doesn't if I boot from internal HD.

Is there a way to just dump the content into a file? It's huge - dozens of pages.

As I said: funny, I don't change anything between the boots via HD or USB.

EDIT:

OK, I made photos of every single BIOS page. Attached.

Thank you for your support!

EDIT:

Another wired behavior: I run the edptool again and configured .kexts new and booted. KP as shown in a picture above.

Copied unchanged /Extra folder and replaced the one on stick. Boots fine from stick. Go figure.

D430 Bios.zip

OK. Status.

I expanded .mkext file out of HD's Extra folder. Overwrote all .kexts with correct versions out of different directories. Moved all kexts to /Extra/Extensions (which suits Chameleon fine, if I have no .mkext file in /Extra folder). Removed .mkext file from /Extra folder.

Copied com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml and smbios.plist from EDP 1.5 RC6 /Extra/Models/D4x0 to /Extra on HD.

Repaired permissions. Set Extensions permissions. Cleared Extension cache. Cleared System Apps cache. Run touch for Extensions folder.

Booted from HD -> KP

Booted from stick. Renamed /Extra folder on my USB stick to /Extra.working

Copied /Extra folder from HD (no changes made since last manual config and KP) to USB stick.

Rebooted from USB stick. NO KP. But sound is now missing. And my battery as well. Well... not perfect but it's booting.

Now go figure. This is just killing me.

However, my view of "not altering the OS X installation on a HD" just got some more creditability.

Ideas?

• Administrators

Hi,

Nope, all i can say is that the method documented on the wiki works for everybody else :)

I have latitudes in my home (D430, D530 and a D820) .. all using the same method, same package, and it works like a charm.

So i have to be something in your end...

Hi,

Nope, all i can say is that the method documented on the wiki works for everybody else :)

I have latitudes in my home (D430, D530 and a D820) .. all using the same method, same package, and it works like a charm.

So i have to be something in your end...

OK, I appreciate the fact that it worked for everybody else. But it didn't for me. And I did 2 separate installations following the guide steps like you posted. Both time with the same results. So, it is very likely that error is somewhere on my side, but I don't see what and where went wrong.

The statement that something *is on my side* doesn't really help me. That I see myself. But I would really like to find out why I cannot boot from HD, my battery monitor is missing or why the sleep does not work properly.

You asked for my BIOS settings in order to compare it to your machine. I posted it a few days ago. Since te download counter for the file is still on zero, I take for granted that you didn't have the time or the will to compare it to your BIOS. This might or might not have helped. But it would be interesting to find if there are differences and which they happen to be.

Apparently you do not want to share your /Extra folder either (I asked twice. Nicely) but you might want to compare my /Extra folder with yours? I would upload it gladly. It might help solving the issue.

THX!

Zep