Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

What is the best way to update EDP?

My machine was a D430 with a smooth working 10.7.3, build with edp2.x.

I want to upgrade to 10.7.5 and thought it was a good idea to first upgrade to edp4. So I ran the EDP4 installer, edp-command started automatic after that, I choose for preconfigured values for the D430 duo core. What can go wrong, it's often told the D430 is the best supported device?

But the result is an unbootable machine! Get a kernel panic, I think voodooHDA.

Tried -v -f, same result. When I try -v -f -x it seems to work, but it ends in the log-in screen, but the keyboard is not working, even tried an usb keyboard.

I know I have a reliable backup of 10.7.3, so I can get a running configuration back, but the question remains: what is the best way to update EDP? Or what are realiable settings for a D430?

• Administrators

If you get going with -v -f -x flags, try adding "USBBusFix=No" to get keyboard working. The trouble is that you may not be able to fully execute EDP + myFix in safe mode, but give it a go. Then there's always the alternative of booting off the USB installer and re-running myHack or repairing things manually through command lines.

Let's try this over:

Make your USB stick, but don't use myHack! DO NOT ON SNOW LEOPARD... Last thing you want to do. Here's what you want to do:

Insert your Snow Leopard install DVD or if you have a DMG image that works too. Go to disk utility and format a USB stick with Master Boot Record and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Go to the Restore tab, and for source, click "Image" and select your Snow Leopard DMG file or from the DVD menu if you have the DVD version. For destination, drag your formatted USB drive to the destination section. If you are making it on Snow Leopard, be sure "Erase Destination" is selected. On Lion and Mountain Lion it does it by itself. and then click restore. Enter root password and let it copy away!

Now download the latest certified Chameleon bootloader from here: http://www.osxlatitude.com/files/Chameleon.pkg

Download this bootpack and put it on the root of your USB stick: http://www.osxlatitude.com/packs/Dell/Dell_Latitude_D4x0-sl.zip

Now boot from your USB stick using "-v" or "-v -f -x" and then install OS X. Make sure the hard drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table. Now install and when it's done, update to 10.6.8 and run EDP 1.9.2 and make a build. Now reboot. If you want you can also install myHack Utilties and run myFix Full mode

Cheers!

Hi there.

This is a GREAT guide, and I get the installer, which is more than I had before, but something is failing the installation checks and not letting me do the actual install. The logs are, oddly, blank. it just says "Instlation checks failure:" with no other information.

Thoughts?

​I can get Lion running, but it's painfully slow. Would really love to have SL on here.

• Administrators

I recently installed SL 10.6.8 on a 32bit D420 using our usual procedure: myHack (v3.1.2) installer + retail SL 10.6.3 + OSXL bootpack. There was no issue at all and I finalised the installation with EDP5.

That D420 was quickly replaced by a 64bit D430 and, although I did not proceed with SL on that model (though I could try it on an external USB drive), I can assure you that the above procedure worked for Lion and ML.

Things have considerably changed since July 2012: myHack is up to v3.1.2 and EDP up from v1.9.2 to v5.2. I strongly recommend you actually use a myHack installer. I am not aware of any particular issue with that method to successfully install SL on a D430.

What are your specs?

• Like 1

Ah! Thank you muchly.

I have a Core 2 Duo 1.2 Ghz chip with 2 GB RAM and an 80 GB HD. System Profile in OSX Installer sees the same. Graphically, using the Intel 945GMS. I had a bad wireless card in there, but shoved in a Dell card that I'd had stashed with the rest of my old Hackintoshing gear.

I will give this another go when I get home.

How is Lion working for you on your D430?