Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

Well, looks like a software config error. What are you using, Apple or Voodoo PS2 kexts?

Since you have the exact matching machine, would you be willing to zip and upload your complete extra folder (or send it via email)?

THX!

Well, I thought Apple battery kext might simply refused to work with Voodoo PS2 and power kexts. So, I tried Voodoo battery kext but to no avail.

I have downloaded and am using the 1.5 RC6 out of your post announcing it, so... I have no idea where to begin to look. Hence, I thought to try your config. And than dig some deeper and try to pinpoint the differences.

OK, now I officially run out of options! My battery still doesn't show up. I tried all of the possible EDP choices and ended up blank.

However, this testing brought me the PS2 support for my keyboard and trackpad back with Apple PS2 kext (for good or bad of it). I don't really know what went bad in my first try but it didn't occur in my last attempt to use it.

@Leon

Are you using OS X 10.6.6?

Apparently your config shows the battery status. And apparently you ignored my request for your extra folder. However, you could prove a real sport and save me a complete new installation and data migration (which takes very looooooooong hours) and share your extra folder with me. I would be really grateful!!!! And I am really saying a very nice "please"! OK? Here: PUUUUUUHHHHHHLEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSEEEEE! :)

THX!

• Administrators

Hey mate,

Sorry, had to crash early yesterday - got the damn flu!

Lets get this fixed.

First a few questions if you dont mind (i might have asked it before, but i'm still in bed with the flu, so please bear over with me:)

1. Are you using an original or battery ?

2. Are you using latest BIOS update ? (You might wanna check another forum post here, CRC made a special bios update for the D430 series)

3. Just to make sure, you copied the EDP 1.5rc6 to /Extra on your harddisk .. right ?

4. Run edptool again, and do a new build, but dont restart, now try and copy voodoobattery.kext from /Extra/models/other-kexts into /Extra/Extentions

Removed the "AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext", do a new build via edptool by selecting "make build from my present configuration"

Hey mate,

Sorry, had to crash early yesterday - got the damn flu!

Lets get this fixed.

First a few questions if you dont mind (i might have asked it before, but i'm still in bed with the flu, so please bear over with me:)

1. Are you using an original or battery ?

Ummm... not sure what you mean. I tried configurations with both kexts out of the EDP rc6, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and VoodooBattery.kext. No difference.

2. Are you using latest BIOS update ? (You might wanna check another forum post here, CRC made a special bios update for the D430 series)

AFAIK A09 I use is the latest.

Thanks for the pointer! Sounds interesting. If I understood correctly, I wouldn't need DSDT any more, but all kexts are still needed?

3. Just to make sure, you copied the EDP 1.5rc6 to /Extra on your harddisk .. right ?

Nope. I am booting from an USB stick, keeping the OSX HD vanilla.

A long story, short version: building my first Hackintosh PC I installed Chameleon on my HD. After I've made some changes in config there, every boot ended up in a KP, big time. Tried to recover from USB stick but, as long as Chameleon was on HD, Chameleon on USB stick will ignore DSDT and Extra folder there and take the ones from HD. Hence, I had an endless KP loop. Back than I found no means to mount the HD and replace the faulty configuration with a good one. (spent many nights in different forums like InsanlyMac, kext.com, tonycrap, etc. looking for solution and discussing options. Found none.) So, I ended up buying a new HD (couldn't afford to lose data from the old one) and repeating the whole hack again.

Since than I followed an advice from many hackintoshers: don't alter your HD. Use two Chameleon USB sticks, one safe and one experimental. If you screw up something on experimental, you can always use your safe stick to access your machine.

However, I don't see a connection to my battery issue. The working environment (machine as such) is defined by BIOS, EFI (Chameleon) and DSDT. Additional functions or devices are triggered by OSX embedded kexts or kexts out of .mkext file (or /Extra/Extension folder if there is no .mkext). AFAIK, it does not make any difference if EFI is a HW or SW solution or if the bootloader is on stick or a HD.

4. Run edptool again, and do a new build, but dont restart, now try and copy voodoobattery.kext from /Extra/models/other-kexts into /Extra/Extentions

Removed the "AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext", do a new build via edptool by selecting "make build from my present configuration"

Well, I already manually tried this: expanded the .mkext file to see what kexts are needed, copied the original kext versions out of appropriate EDP RC6 folders into my /Extra/Extensions folder and booted without .mkext. Nothing changed.

But I will try your suggested steps.

THX!

• Administrators

Hi,

Some important pointers, just follow the guide.. install chameleon 665 onto the HD, its a requirement - and put EDP on the hardddisk.

While its good to have a usb stick, i have noticed alot of issues if only booting from USB.

Also, we are atleast 10 others who have the same model as you, and it work out of the box, if you just follow the guide.

As for the battery, if your battery isent orginal (you can get copy-cat/replacement batterys) - those might not be deteced correctly..

Hi,

Some important pointers, just follow the guide.. install chameleon 665 onto the HD, its a requirement - and put EDP on the hardddisk.

While its good to have a usb stick, i have noticed alot of issues if only booting from USB.

Also, we are atleast 10 others who have the same model as you, and it work out of the box, if you just follow the guide.

Oh well... what the hack... if you think that's the reason for my issues, I'll try it.

As for the battery, if your battery isent orginal (you can get copy-cat/replacement batterys) - those might not be deteced correctly..

Nope, Original DELL part. But I am using the extended (bigger) version. I'll try and insert the small one.

THX for your help!

Well, I tried it. KP, GSOD.

The good news is that this time around I was able to boot from stick again.

Run Disk Utility - stopped. HD corrupted, need repare run from DVD (stick in my case). Just doing it as I write this.

If successful I'll try again to boot from HD. If not, I'll just run the whole process again from scratch.

Just to be sure about the steps:

Boot from USB stick with Chameleon 2 RC5 r665, 1st install Extra folder (per tutorial) OS X 10.6.0 retail DVD

Install OS X 10.6.0 on HD

Boot into OS X

Install Chameleon 2 RC5 r665 on HD

Extract EDP 1.5 RC6 in root directory

run ./edptool.command and configure for D430

no reboot

get 10.6.6 update combo and install

after finished, remove USB stick and reboot from HD

Everything should be working fine

applying tweaks for sound, speedstep and such

Correct?