ASUS N56 JR -- to install Catalina Please help

mariano

Hello,

In the past thanks to Jake Lo. I have installed successfully Mojave on my ASUS N56JR. It works very well.   

Now I'm trying to install Catalina version. I have created a pendrive with the setup..

But when I start the setup I cannot continue the installation because the setup remain blocked with the following written: "apfs module start 1689.................."

Could you help me to understand the reason? I attached my EFI current setup. Please check it. I think we need to adjust the ACPI patched and the config.plist as well.

I have already do several test without success.

EFI.zip

Thank you for your strong support.

Best regards,

Mariano 

• Moderators

replace DSDT

DSDT.aml.zip

Looks like you moved all the kexts found in /L/E to EFi/Clover/Kexts/10.15. Don't do that, remove them from EFI. Those are vanilla kexts native to the OS.

Keep all kexts in Other, no need to split. You now have 2 different versions of kext in 10.15 and Other...messy. Clean that up.

Either use FakeSMC +ACPIBatteryManager or VirtualSMC + SMCBatterymanager.kext.

Hello Jake Lo.

thank you very much for your support. I have news. Thanks your new DSDT.aml I was able to bypass the "apfs module start 1689" issue. But now there is an other big issue. I hope that you can help me. I will try to explain:

After preparing new EFI Folder with your suggestions (please you can find the new one attached to this email), I tried to install CATALINA. It seemed was all ok; during the installation they pc required to restart several time as normal procedure. But at the end of installation the last time I was not able to finish it because "kernel panic" dtc occurred. So Im not able to continue and finish the setup. Opening my PC by MOJAVE, I have seen the on the hard disk where I was installing CATALINA have been created two partitions ("Catalina" and "Catalina-Dati") I think that the setup  of new operating system was almost complete, but I cannot complete the procedure because of Kernel Panic happened.

I suppose we need to modify something such as kext or config.plist. I don't understand why the kernel panic never happen before starting the setup and during the several reboot required by system during the Catalina operating system installation; kernel panic happened only at the end of setup...

Please support me. 

Thank you as usual. 

Best regards,

Mariano.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 17.28.14.png

EFI_new.zip

Hello Jake,

I revised the EFI Folder. Please check the new attached EFI Folder if now is ok. AnyWay I have finished the installation of CATALINA with success starting in safe mode (-x). I can start the system without any kernel panic only in safe mode ( -x ). 

Attached the IOReg file too. Could you check it?

Furthermore WiFI and Sound don't work.

I have tried to put the kext (see picture) inside the folder L/E and then to rebuild cache with the following commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*

sudo touch -f /L*/E*

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

But I'm not sure this commands still work on Catalina system, because some error occurred during the procedure.

By the way, what can I do to solve the issues? The first big issue is that I cannot start the system in normal mode (I can start the system only in safe mode).

Thank you,

Regards,

Mariano.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 19.24.30.png

EFI_N56JR.zip IOReg_ASUSN56JR.zip

• Moderators

No need to install to /L/E, all can be injected from /EFI, undo that.

You should also update your kexts especially

• Lilu
  • Whatevergreen

You didn't post what the issue is with booting...so can't tell you why it won't boot normally.

As for wifi, Atheros has been dropped from Catalina, you'll need to install old kexts from Mojave or inject some patched kexts. See Hervé's guide on Wifi devices

1)How can I show you the issue with boot? Honestly speaking I didn’t understand the reason of issue. How can I send you a report of boot error in some way? Please teach me.

2) About Lilu and whatevergreen Kexts where can i find the new one?

3) ok I will remove the kexts from L/E. in Mojave I put the kext only there.

4) about wifi and sound we patched the DSDT.aml for Mojave. I already put in “others”folder old all kext from Mojave (you can see them in the print screen on my previous message)  Maybe in safe mode is Wi-Fi disabled? 

thank you

Mariano

• Moderators

1) boot with verbose + debug 0x100 mode, post screenshot

2) google or use kext updater.app to download, many ways to do this, please put in a little effort

3) Make sure to repair permission and rebuild cache after

4) DSDT has nothing to do with what version of MacOS, but with BIOS version and configuration. The old kext I meant is for wifi (IO80211Family.kext) Did you read Hervé's guide?

Here's the link if you have not. Make sure to read the last post.