Lenovo Thinkpad P1: upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?

rjjd

Hi Jake , I still have the laptop described above Thinkpad P1 with Xeon CPU. I am searching for a way to upgrade this laptop from Catalina latest version.

Is it possible to upgrade to Big Sur ? I am searching on the different forums fo a working EFI with no luck. 

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks...

• Moderators

If you have a working Catalina, then you should be a able to update to Big Sur by updating the OC files and kexts, and of course the Config file with the changes that are in the latest OC 0.6.4.

Post your working OC files if you need assistance to check

As requested here the EFI folder with settings which I used for my Thinkpad P1. I can create a working usb Big Sur 11.1 stick and install it on a second partition on the laptop.  I used this open core guide https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#deviceproperties  I did not find anything useful else.  The laptop is installing and can be configured until desktop is shown.

Not working yet WIFI - but can be solved with Heliport app.  More concern for me is after first time reboot I get kernel panic about voodoo kext - cannot be solved by me - so after one first reboot I have to start from scratch again.

Hope you can help me.

Also added a picture of the KP as seen after the first time I reboot the laptop.

IMG_7218.jpeg

EFI_BigSur-not_stable.zip