D420 upgrade 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 (Brussels)

Tommie

Hi,

I need help.....

I would like to install VMware SSL extender / remote access software. This requires Java and the company helpdesk told me I need OSX 10.6.8

The current version on my D420 is 10.6.3

I'm not at all handy with kexts or any manual intervention on my hackintosh.

What will happen when I decide to install the 10.6.8 (using the OSX tool on my hackintosh)?

I've seen that wireless will not work anymore etc.

I have no idea howto fix these issues.

Is there anyone around the Brussels area who can help me with this (I'm happy to travel).

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to install VMware SSL extender / remote access software. This requires Java and the company helpdesk told me I need OSX 10.6.8

The current version on my D420 is 10.6.3

I know the feeling, why put a good running machine at risk?

Who did the initial setup of your D420, updating is far more easy then that.

You can take some steps to get you prepared as best as possible.

Download all the required files on your laptop first like OSX 10.6.8 Combo update (around 1G), latest version of MyHack and EDP 2.2.

Do you have (access to) another computer so you are not completely lost without a working internet?

Do you know which model wireless card you have now?

But I'm a newby myself, other people will have more appropriate tips.

I started with a clean install of 10.6.0 and upgraded without problems to 10.6.8 with the Combo update.

• Administrators

If you follow the documented process, it's a piece of cake. Download the SL 10.6.8 update, install and make sure to install/re-install the latest EDP software with kexts for you model.

If you follow the documented process, it's a piece of cake. Download the SL 10.6.8 update, install and make sure to install/re-install the latest EDP software with kexts for you model.

Thanks,

So you mean install from OSX 10.6.3 using the update tool from OSX or download another way?

After this wireless doesn't work anymore?

How do you then re-install EDP software?

It's very unlikely I will get it working again....

Kind regards,

Tom

I know the feeling, why put a good running machine at risk?

Who did the initial setup of your D420, updating is far more easy then that.

You can take some steps to get you prepared as best as possible.

Download all the required files on your laptop first like OSX 10.6.8 Combo update (around 1G), latest version of MyHack and EDP 2.2.

Do you have (access to) another computer so you are not completely lost without a working internet?

Do you know which model wireless card you have now?

But I'm a newby myself, other people will have more appropriate tips.

I started with a clean install of 10.6.0 and upgraded without problems to 10.6.8 with the Combo update.

Hi Krullenbol,

I did te initial install myself. Piece of cake. Downloaded some iso file.Booted with iso disc, swapped for retail DVD,installed 10.6.3, iso disc back in, install bootloader done.

I also bought another wireless card online and installed it.

I have a win7 machine available at home.

Who can write me a step by step idiote guide for this update from 10.6.3 to 8 for my single core D420?

Tom

• Administrators

Dear krull,

Just download the 10.6.7 combo update from apple website and install it. Just make sure your EDP configuration is working before that on your 10.6.3. Otherwise, you might get kernel panic during updating installation.

Cheers!

Dear krull,

Just download the 10.6.7 combo update from apple website and install it. Just make sure your EDP configuration is working before that on your 10.6.3. Otherwise, you might get kernel panic during updating installation.

Cheers!

When I click on check for updates (in 10.6.3) it says there is a 10.6.8 combo ready for download (not 10.6.7).

I've never installed EDP before.

So I need to install this first and then download 10.6.8?

Then run EDP again?

What are the risks involved? Posibilty it will not boot again: 0-100%?

I'm not looking forward to this.

Who can send a simple step 1, 2, 3 enz?

Thanks,

Tom

• Administrators

Tommy,

My apologies. What I meant is 10.6.8.

Yes. You need to make sure you install EDP and make sure your 10.6.3 is configured first.

In particular, EDP will install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra which will disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Without that, installing 10.6.8 combo update may cause a KP as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext may be loaded.

I would advice that you create another partition, clone or install another os x system and test the 10.6.8 combo update before you do it on your main system.

It can't get any simpler that this.

Cheers!

• Administrators

Here's what I did just a few weeks ago on a D430:

Initial SL installation:

1) Installed SL 10.6.3 through ModUSB+SL10.6.3 USB key

2) Upon completion and before reboot, installed and ran EDP 1.9

3) Installed EDP kexts for D430 model -> you'll need to install kexts for your D420

4) Rebooted into SL 10.6.3

Updates:

5) downloaded SL10.6.8 Combo update (this is not the Apple Menu->Update method, search for Combo update and downloaded through your browser from the Apple web site) and installed it. If you choose the AppleMenu method, updates get installed only when you reboot the computer and then you could be screwed (I think it's Ok for D4x0, but not for D6x0; anyway better be safe than sorry).

6) re-ran EDP 1.9 to re-install model-specific kexts

7) rebooted straight into SL10.6.8

8) Installed other updates through AppleMenu->Update method.

Here's what I did just a few weeks ago on a D430:

Initial SL installation:

1) Installed SL 10.6.3 through ModUSB+SL10.6.3 USB key

2) Upon completion and before reboot, installed and ran EDP 1.9

3) Installed EDP kexts for D430 model -> you'll need to install kexts for your D420

4) Rebooted into SL 10.6.3

Updates:

5) downloaded SL10.6.8 Combo update (this is not the Apple Menu->Update method, search for Combo update and downloaded through your browser from the Apple web site) and installed it. If you choose the AppleMenu method, updates get installed only when you reboot the computer and then you could be screwed (I think it's Ok for D4x0, but not for D6x0; anyway better be safe than sorry).

6) re-ran EDP 1.9 to re-install model-specific kexts

7) rebooted straight into SL10.6.8

8) Installed other updates through AppleMenu->Update method.

Thanks Herve,

Do I also need to do a clean install, or can I work from the current 10.6.3 installation?

I don't know what /b and /u are?

If yes, I first need to install EDP 1.9 or 2.2 (why you mention 1.9, the lastest one is 2.2?)

When you mention "installed EPP kexts": this is done by EDP right? No need for manual intervention.

I might give it go, but I would prefer somebody to do it for me and pay him....

Tom