Problems with Dual Booting OSX Leopard & XP

digzz

Dear diggs,

I just remembered, there's an easier way to install cham. You can also install chameleon using myhack in the usb installer. Try it.

Further, the /Extra folder created from EDP 2.2 is for lion. You'll need to remove it and use the previous /Extra after you installed os x (if you have any).

Can i know what partition table you're using for your hard disk? Is is mbr or guid?

Cheers!

Both Partitions are GUID is this right?

• Administrators

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't install Windows on a GUID partition, only on an MBR partition. If you're using a GUID partition for Windows, that could explain the "Disk error" message you're getting.

All my dual-boot installation were done on MBR paritions and I always installed Windows first.

Once OS X is installed and Chameleon bootloader installed, I usually lose the Windows installation. To retrieve it, I boot from Windows CD and go to recovery command prompt to reactivate the partition.

• Administrators

Dear Digzz,

It is possible to install windows on a gpt partition. You just need to create hybrid mbr using gptsync. Have a look on our guide on dual booting windows and os x above.

Cheers.

Dear Digzz,

It is possible to install windows on a gpt partition. You just need to create hybrid mbr using gptsync. Have a look on our guide on dual booting windows and os x above.

Cheers.

How do I create a hybrid mbr using gptsync ? Do I download a program and do it from snow leopard ?

I've download this file for mac : rEFIt-0.14

I've installed it and I still get disk error when booting.

How would I go to the menu to format the partition to mbr ?

I can't see gptsync in the above guides.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't install Windows on a GUID partition, only on an MBR partition. If you're using a GUID partition for Windows, that could explain the "Disk error" message you're getting.

All my dual-boot installation were done on MBR paritions and I always installed Windows first.

Once OS X is installed and Chameleon bootloader installed, I usually lose the Windows installation. To retrieve it, I boot from Windows CD and go to recovery command prompt to reactivate the partition.

I've tried this method but every time I get to the install mac os x screen it's asking me to repartition the whole drive to GUID. If I did this ...it would erase my xp partition.

When you create a myHack USB stick, it patches OSInstall.mpkg to allow installation of Mac OS X on a drive formatted using the Master Boot Record, so what you do is go into Windows intaller, make two partions: One for Windows and one for OS X. Install WIndows and then boot into OS X usb stick made in myHack and install Mac OS X on the second partition.

When you create a myHack USB stick, it patches OSInstall.mpkg to allow installation of Mac OS X on a drive formatted using the Master Boot Record, so what you do is go into Windows intaller, make two partions: One for Windows and one for OS X. Install WIndows and then boot into OS X usb stick made in myHack and install Mac OS X on the second partition.

I can't boot via USB . I'm using a cd drive. How would I do it Via a CD ?

I can't boot via USB . I'm using a cd drive. How would I do it Via a CD ?

Not much can be done then... Unless you have the ability of making a dmg of your DVD, adding the patched OSInstall.mpkg and burning it to another DVD