[Solved] Latitude 3350: Big Sur (Open Core)

theawesomerb

hello guys, 

I hope you're doing fine.

I have actually Catalina installed and working on my Latitude 3350 using Clover (Big thanks to @Jake Lo), and i want to switch to Big Sur using OC since many says its better than Clover.

So i went to dortania and followed the guide step by step (with the latest files possible) as much as i can and i created the EFI that u can find attached (EFI OC.zip) , however , when i try to boot it says it cant start the config, so nothing happens, i wonder where i did a mistake?

If it may help , you can find attached the  EFI that i use actually for catalina (EFI Clover.zip)

For info my system's specs :

• CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U (Broadwell-U)
  • GraphicsIntel HD 5500
  • LCD: 1366x768
  • Disk: Toshiba SATA-II 320GB MK3255GSX HDD
  • Audio: Realtek ALC ??? (alcid=33)

And I use external dongle.

thanks in advance !

EFI OC.zip EFI CLOVER.zip

• Administrators

It does not look like you followed the Dortania's guide step by step, no...

• your OC config does refer to any of those ACPI patched tables you've placed in the ACPI folder
  • you've used SSDT-EC-USBX which is for Skylake and later systems, when you should just use SSDT-EC for your Broadwell laptop
  • you've completely missed the Device Properties section, you'll need to inject graphics properties at minimum
  • you inject AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext which I believe to be unecessary
  • AppleCpuPmCfgLock quirk is for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge platforms so useless for you (but it'll do no harm)
  • you've got stuff in LegacySchema I've never seen before (those mmm entries)
  • you've opted for MacPro7,1 SMBIOS which is totally wrong for your Broadwell laptop

You'll never get anywhere without that setup. Dortania provides a complete and correct guidance for Broadwell laptops, why don't you follow it?

thank you guys  for the answers , 

it turned out that i uploaded the wrong EFI, the efI I uploaded was generated by ocgenX in my first attempt to get a working EFI.

Please find attached the efi i created following the guide, i found out that my initial error was because the config.plist wasn't in the OC folder , when i fixed that , i got this panic 

145046199_809569749596060_5763506161904060362_n.thumb.jpg.a062282d9d38ad47f2647f5e7216dd29.jpg

@Hervé : i used MacBookAir 7.2 , having a broadwell-U 15w 13"    , that should be right ?

3350 EFI.zip

thanks @jakelo ,

that booted up smooth ,started the install as usual , however after the first restart the pc is cought in a loop with this error  

loop.thumb.jpg.61c1ca2da08f6312f29042a08a888dd9.jpg

i went to secure boot i found it was disabled.

i tried to reinstall with the usb same boot loop !

i can take out the hdd and reformat it with an external rack if needed.

• Moderators

No issue with SMCBatterymanager. The 8bits is native for Dell Latitude systems, unlike HP or some Inspiron system that has 16bit or 32 bit.

No need to start over, just replace the kext to the kexts folder.

Can you explain more in detail about the looping?

After the 1st reboot, it should continue installing from the internal drive, not the USB installer. Do you see a new boot option after the 1st reboot to select "install MacOS from <name of internal drive>"

• Like 1