modular bay 2nd battery, SSD, sata 2nd HDD

DaFrigN

Hey guys,

I just bought some extras for my D630/nvs135 hacbook and I want to share my experience / seek help or advice...

1. Bought an OCZ Solid state drive and now waiting for a modular bay 2nd HDD caddy to arrive from China to move the original 250 gig into... more on that later.

2. Bought a modular bay 2nd battery (official Dell, almost new!) And an aftermarket 9cell battery (I'm going mobile). So far tried various kext/versions OsX sometimes sees both batteries but can only report on the non-bay battery's charge state properly. sometimes it thinks the AC adapter is plugged in when its not. Also, it always says service battery in the menubar (even before the changes), yet BIOS indicates both batteries are working fine. I'm thinking I need to mod either ACPIBattery or my DSDT? The batteries both seem to charge fine despite this (checking in BIOS).

Other then minor issues like these, I have a near perfect install of 10.6.8. Planning on trying 10.7.x once my HDD is installed in the modular bay and can dual boot from BIOS boot menu.

Thanks to everybody on OSXLattitude for all your help!

• Administrators

i have tested that model about 2 weeks ago, i also got the bad battery warning funny this though was that it was not lying, bought a new 9 cell battery and the error went away. the battery that did say was bad wound up going haywire after a full power cycle which is to drain it and recharge it. After that cycle the battery stayed constant orange and was not detected by the laptop, it powers it but the laptop does not see it. also i think dell had issues with some of these batteries.

• Administrators

Hey,

I have seen the same issue that OSX and linux have been able to detect battery issues before bios did it.. i re-tested the battery in windows with a tool i found on download.com - and was able to confirm that the battery infact had issues.. also seen the issue with brand new aftermarked batterys.

Both batteries say this, but I'll check into it with some tools, (I have Win7 on one of the partitions). Thanks.

Since the 1st post I had the Nvidia video issues happen... I baked the mobo in the oven and now video is working normally again, I also removed the cat hair and added some aluminum + half a tube of arctic silver between the heat-sink and the GPU, been a few days and so far it's still working, feels a lot cooler!

Installed OCZ Summit SSD, and moved HDD to modular Bay ATA to SATA caddy, seems to be working well.

However, because it is actually ATA bus, the HDD is not hot-swapable so I probably won't be using the modular bay battery much anyway.

...half a tube of arctic silver between the heat-sink and the GPU...

This is old, but using more thermal paste than needed is only going to result in more problems down the line, such as it caking and doing no cooling at all, or leaking over and shorting your board.