Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install Guide for D620

JawhnL5

It's very frustrating. I see everywhere that everyone gets to install Snow Leopard on a Dell D620.

I arrived very well until I need to use or EDP at the end of the installation, the "Post-Instalation".  Terminal opens a command and it is written:

"The application cannot be opened because it has an executable format.

logout". 

I tried to install Snow on a D430 and whenever I get the same result.

Help me please.

• Administrators

Mmm, with recent release of EDP 5.1, that documentation needs to be updated as it's a little behind now...

I'm having trouble understanding what you are doing, can you list your steps?

What you ought to do:

1) Prepare your USB installer with myHack 3.1.2 + Retail Snow Leopard (10.6.0 or 10.6.3 or 10.6.8)

2) download appropriate bootpack (make sure to choose the correct one for your D620) and copy it to USB installer using myHack -> Create Extra -> my own

3) install SL and reboot

4) after reboot, download and install EDP software, then run it to do your system build

That should be it.

Yes I followed these instructions and the system is operating at 90%.

I have Snow Leopard with Wifi, Ethernet, trackpad, keyboard, etc.. There is just the sound card that is not recognized.

The EDP installer working correctly but when I run the application it crashes and EDP makes me the error message in Terminal.

It's the "4) after reboot, download and install EDP software, then run it to do your system build" who doesn't work for me.

I just tried to install the latest version of Snow Leopard and Java 6. EDP ​​still does not start and write to me:

"Bad CPU type in executable

The application cannot be opened because it has an executable format.

logout".

Is this normal?

• Administrators

Can you try a fresh download + install of EDP again please? We identified an issue with EDP 5.1 and SL last night and Leon fixed it today. I've verified it tonight and it works well now for SL.

By the way, are you installing SL on a D430 or D620?

Im looking to install SL 10.6.3 or 10.6.8. I have a dell d620 with nvidia card n 2gb of ram running windows 7. I searched n read mix reviews on whether an external monitor would work, it seems it onky works on 10.6 n not on 10.7 or only certain video cards in 10.6, correct? Also once installed, will the ethernet port still work for wired connection or only wireless will be avaliable? Thanks and appreciate the help!

• Administrators

You can use an external display with SL or Lion on the D620 with Intel GMA (I'm positive for SL, for Lion I would have to test to be certain) . What we've noticed with Intel GMA models is corruption at the bottom of the display on external screen beyond a certain resolution. There's a fairly lengthy thread on the forum about it with screendumps.

On the other hand, I cannot get any external display to work with my D620 nVidia. It won't detect the 2nd/external screen. It's probably a DSDT issue.

Once OS X is installed, both wired Ethernet and wireless work (bearing in mind that Intel wireless cards are not supported).

Thanks Herve for the information. ...i was afraid it wasn't gng to work with the nvidia nvs 110, i guess for the meantime ill hold off on updating since Im currently using the external monitor. I can assume by this time a fix is not in the works or hasnt been found,  correct? Thanks  again. 

Hello, I have installed SL 10.6.8 fine, but the wi-fi isn't working on it. When I open System Preferences < Network it says cable unplugged. So, one day I opened the Dell latitude d620 up, and the Broadcom 1490 WAS plugged in. Not sure whats wrong. Ive done a truckload of research and still nothing. Please help as quick ASAP.