E5540: slow performance under Big Sur

npolite

Further to my initial install with the help of this thread, it seems that everything is really slowing down compared to Mojave. Even clicking on the HDD or closing a window takes almost a second. Is it possible that I have some invalid configuration? Is there something I can run to see if everything is running as it should?

I was also running an update to 11.2.3 and browser pages were extremely slow to the point that it took 3-4 seconds to load.

• Administrators

Big Sur is not known to run slower than its predecessor so I'd say that you've either lost CPU SpeedStep/power management (and laptop runs at LFM) or you've lost graphics acceleration. You should be able to verify CPU operational status through apps such as HWMonitor (if you've installed FakeSMC's PlugIns or VirtualSMC PlugIns) or Intel's Power Gadget tools and graphics acceleration through the normal checkups (About this Mac, LaunchPad, Finder's bar & Dock translucency, etc.).

Ideally, post your debug files or at least IOReg extract and zipped EFI folder (Clover or OpenCore).

Hi Hervé,

You were correct about the video, my finder bar was solid not translucent. I updated the parameters as per OC and had to add the device-id as well as the frame-buffer patch. The only issue is that I can't increase the brightness of the screen. Is there some kext that you are aware of that could be causing this? I've attached my modified EFI for you.

Thanks

E5540_OC_BIG_SUR.zip

• Administrators

For screen brightness, add the SSDT-PNLF.aml table; it's missing.

Please note that you should:

• not use 2 x SSDT EC tables, only one to keep things clean and avoid confusion.
  • in the same respect, review the ACPI renaming patches you've configured in your OC config file; for instance, I see at least 3 x patches for EC device and I guess only one applies. Same goes for USB or audio devices. Of course, those that do not apply make no harm but it's a little messy.

• Moderators

Try this, completely hot patched without DSDT

• Add SDCard Reader
  • Added Fn keys for Brightness
  • Enable audio with IRQ fix

Replace the Config and ACPI folder. 

I see your USB Ports have some discrepancy. You have USBPorts and USBInjectAll + SSDT-UIAC.aml and Port limit patch in the Config file under Kernel.

USBPorts. kext won't work since it's hardcoded to MBP11,1, and your SMBIOS is set to MBP11,2, but not sure between SSDT-UIAC and port limit patch, which one is working.

FixAudio.zip