Precision 7720: need help to install Big Sur

vjiethoang

• Administrators

Precision 7720 is 7th gen Kaby Lake when Precision 7x10 (eg: 7510, 7710) are 6th gen Skylake. Post your hardware specs, get to know your hardware and seek to use a setup appropriate to your own computer, not one from a different model whose name looks close to your own.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/prerequisites.html#prerequisites

• Like 1

sorry about my carelessness. and here are the parameters Thank you for your interest . Hope your help

• CPU: i7-7920HQ Processor @3.1GHz (up to 4.10GHz)
  • Graphics:  HD 630/ Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB DDR5
  • Display:  17.3" 4K screen (3840x2160)
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz
  • Disk: Samsung PM961 NVME SSD 512GB (Windows 10) + Apacer 240GB (macOS)
  • Audio: Realtek ALC295
  • Ethernet: Intel I219LM Gigabit Ethernet
  • Wireless: Intel dual band AC-8265 802.11ac + BT 4.2
  • USB: 3 x USB3.0 ports + Type C
  • Card Reader: Micro SD 3.0 card
  • Camera: 720 HD

• Administrators

So your Precision 7720 is indeed a quad core Kaby Lake model.

What kind of disk is this Apacer 240GB? If SATA, all should be Ok. If NVME, it would have to be seen. Samsung NMVE SSDs such as the PM981 and PM991 are known to cause issues so I don't know if the same would apply to the PM961 but it looks like you use it for Windows, not for macOS.

nVidia Quadro P4000 dGPU is Pascal, therefore unsupported since macOS Mojave. You'll need to disable (through DSDT/SSDT patching) in order to save your battery life.

For the rest, all should be Ok though I can't guarantee you'll obtain 4K resolution on your built-in LCD. You'll just have to identify the exact model of SD card reader to assess compatibility. I'd say it's likely to be a Realtek PCIe device of some sort so compatibility is an open question.

Will have a detailed look at your posted OC setup which is incorrect for the moment with settings applicable to Broadcom wireless or graphics among other things.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Re: USB type-C, I suggest you run Hackintool app to try and generate the relevant USB ports mapping for your system. The app will generate kexts and SSDT-table; you can use either or but do not mix them.

Re: Trackpad, afaik that's the best you will get with an I2C device

Re: Sleep, you 1st need to disable hibernation (see our FAQ section on the matter) and make sure you have injected the correct properties for your USB ports (see above about Type-C ports)

Re: Fn-F11/Fn-F12 brightness keys, you may manage to enable those with our documented SSDT patching. Details have been provided in my E7270 guides so look those up. Basically, you'll need to add SSDT-XOSI.aml + SSDT-BRT6.aml to your ACPI patched tables and add BRT6 + _OSI + OSID renaming to your bootloader config,

• Like 1