Not a specific model question: Installation step: Extra and myHack

apple_core

I am preparing to attempt my first installation of OS X to my Dell. Step 8 of the Installation instructions (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/installation/) says:

8. It will ask if you want to install the Generic Extra & Extensions or if you would like to supply your own. Choose the Extra folder from your myHack installation USB.

I am confused. At that point do I answer the question that myHack is asking with the answer of "supply my own?" And then at that point just point myHack back to itself (ie., the myHack USB drive)? Or do I answer with use "generic extra?"

Thanks!

p.s. I posted this to the D4xx forum as I have a D430 but this question could be posed for all model types.

• Administrators

Hi,

That part of myHack refers to what is called "Bootpack" here, i.e. drivers & technical specification files specific to the model you're installing Mac OS X onto. Clever people of OSXL have created these bootpacks by collecting all the necessary kexts and technical information for our laptops.

In your case, you have a D430 and you should therefore download the specific bootpack for that laptop and unarchive it somewhere. This will create a "Extra" folder that you should then point to when you opt for the "Supply my own" option if myHack. The tool then copies the bootpack kexts (i.e. drivers) to /Extra of the installation USB key being created.

Since myHack is a generic installation tool, not everyone has a complete set of specific kexts (i.e. drivers) at hand, therefore myHack offers a set of generic one. They may or may not work, that depends entirely of the computer.

Herve,

Thank you for responding.

I understand about how myHack has it's own generic Extra files and that I need to download and use a bootpack from here when I build my USB boot device. Those steps were covered in the "Pre Installation" document (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/pre-installation/). And yes, I used myHack to create my USB thumb drive and then re-ran myHack telling it to use the Extra that I unzipped from the bootpack.

It is now that I have my question. The "Installation", not pre installation, document (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/installation/) says in step number 7 to run myHack now against not the USB drive bu the real laptop hard drive. Step number 8 says that myHack will ask if I want to use a generic Extra folder or if it should prompt me to use a specific one I have. Is the myHack "generic" Extra actually the Extra from the bootpack because it has been written to the USB drive or does myHack have an embedded generic that can override the one that shows in the root of the USB drive?

The documentation isn't clear. If the Pre-Installation steps were followed then Step 8 should have a decisive answer.

Hi guys!

Thanks for your feedback on our new EDP documentation!

I am confused. At that point do I answer the question that myHack is asking with the answer of "supply my own?" And then at that point just point myHack back to itself (ie., the myHack USB drive)? Or do I answer with use "generic extra?"

I made it more clear in our documentation, http://www.osxlatitu.../installation/. We made special bootpacks for all EDP supported laptops, with their own DSDT and extensions, so you should install without problems.

myHack asks at the end of the install, of you want to install an Extra folder on your new harddisk with OS X. It will install Chameleon (the bootloader) and your Extra folder, so you can boot direct from your harddisk. You can choose to install the Generic myHack Extra folder of to choose your own Extra folder. The easiest is to choose the Extra folder of your myHack install USB, because that is allready the Extra folder of the bootpack.

There are many other ways, but we explain the easiest way!

It is now that I have my question. The "Installation", not pre installation, document (http://www.osxlatitu...p/installation/) says in step number 7 to run myHack now against not the USB drive bu the real laptop hard drive. Step number 8 says that myHack will ask if I want to use a generic Extra folder or if it should prompt me to use a specific one I have.

The documentation isn't clear. If the Pre-Installation steps were followed then Step 8 should have a decisive answer.

Sorry, I don't understand you at all. We never mentioned to use install the Extra folder on your harddrive, and I wrote the new documentation ;).

Is the myHack "generic" Extra actually the Extra from the bootpack because it has been written to the USB drive or does myHack have an embedded generic that can override the one that shows in the root of the USB drive?

When you choose Generic Extra, it will always use the myHack generic Extra, it will never use the Extra folder you installed before. When you choose to use your own Extra folder, you can simply browse and use it. In our documentation, we advise to select the Extra folder on the myHack install USB, because that should be allready the bootpack (if you followed the Pre Installation guide).

• Like 2

When you choose to use your own Extra folder, you can simply browse and use it. In our documentation, we advise to select the Extra folder on the myHack install USB, because that should be allready the bootpack (if you followed the Pre Installation guide).

That is what I was looking for an answer to. Thank you.

I am about to begin my installation. I am just now updating my bios to the most current version A09 (from A05). I am checking if there are any other firmware updates that I need to do first, before I blow away my Vista partition.