Lion on Dell Optiplex 755 with Radeon X1300 128 MB

Syonagar

• Administrators

Dear all,

I have successfully installed 10.7.4 on my Dell Optiplex 755 at work. So far it has yet to kernel panic on me. So i guest its a rock solid desktop machine for os x lion.

The following are my system general specification:-

- Dell Optiplex 755 (Small Form Factor)
- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
- 1333 Mhz System Bus
- 800 Mhz 2 GB DDR2 Memory
- Intel GMA 3100 (Built-In Graphics Card)
- Radeon X1300 128 MB (Dedicated Graphics Card Installed On PCI Slot)
- Bios Version 21
- Intel 82566 LAN Network Card

The following are my Extra configurations:-

dsdt.aml : dsdt.aml created and refine by camilo and maldon from here : Dell Optiplex 755 DSDT, Vanilla SpeedStep+Sleep working ...

smbios.plist : iMac 9.1 created from chameleon wizard or champlist

Extra Extensions : Common kexts from latest EDP as follow:-
- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
- AppleHDADisabler.kext
- ApplePS2Controller.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- IntelCPUMonitor.kext (Tjmax in info.plist set to 100)
- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
- SleepEnabler.kext
- lspcidrv.kext
- VoodooHDA.kext
- VoodooPState.kext (including PStateMenu.app in /Extra/bin)
- VoodooTSCSync.kext

Specific kext for Optiplex 755 as follow :-
- Intel82566MM.kext (For LAN Network Card)
- Natit.kext (For Radeon X1300 128 MB - Also provide support for other legacy ATI card)

I still have the following issues to be resolved:-

- The built-in Intel GMA 3100 graphics card is not supported by os x. The optional Radeon X1300 128 MB dedicated graphics card installed on the pci slot is supported out of the box using graphics injection from natit.kext (this kext provide graphics injection for legacy ati cards. The main branch of chameleon has drop support for these legacy kexts. Its actually originally used for leopard / snow leopard and thank god it worked nicely on lion). So far my attempts to inject from dsdt.aml or chemeleon (Azimutz branch) has not worked. So if anyone has a lion version of the natit.kext or successfully inject legacy ati graphics from dsdt.aml or chameleon i would love to hear about it.

- System Sleep / Stanby no working. So far on monitor goes to sleep. But can wake with keyboard and mouse. I would love to hear from someone that have a solution for this too.

Well, there you go. Enjoy!

I also attached my Extra folder below. Feel free to test it and provide feedback. We are in the process of adding it into EDP.

Extra - Optiplex 755.zip

Cheers !

• Administrators

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that the latest EDP now supports Dell Optiplex 755 (with legacy ATI graphics cards such as Radeon X1300 128 MB).

Your feedback no matter how little is as always very much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Administrators

Good stuff. I have to try Lion on my Vostro 200S again. I was able to set it up with SL last year, but that was with a legacy kernel (ModCD method oblige), had no sound, no wifi (unsupported D-Link card) and I found no kext to support the ATI X1300 Pro 256Mb graphics card. This brings things to a different light now. :rolleyes:

Do you know the motherboard model in the 755? It's a revised Foxconn G33M in the Vostro 200, identical to the Inspiron 530, for which there might be a DSDT table somewhere.

• Administrators

Dear Herve,

The Optiplex 755 has an intel q35 chipset with built-in intel gma 3100 graphics card (not similar to the laptop model x3100 in case you wondering). Yes. Your ATI graphics card will be injected just nicely by the natit.kext. Just make sure the dev id is in or included in the ATIX1300Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext. You'll be suprise how tought is that kext although it was ment for leopard.

Dear xargon,

Yes. We have tried those kernel flags. What i notice is that I just have one s0 system state. It should be at least a few including s3 which is the standby system state. I'm thinking it has something to do with the dsdt.aml. However, so far i have not found anything wrong with it. Nonetheless, i did received a different dsdt.aml from peter which im going to test and compare.

Cheers!

• Administrators

Dear Bugs,

It quite ironic really, although my ATI kexts are all running at 64 bit, the natit.kext that is required for graphics injection is only 32 bit. Unless i can find a 64 bit kext or use other method like dsdt or cham injection, i'm stuck on 32 bit mode.

I'll post Peter dsdt.aml here later for members to try out. From my initial testing, my system state still only display one s0 state.

Cheers!