Want to perfect snow leopard

wamblej

I have decided after many failed attempts to install OSX Lion, I will just instead work with what I have with Snow Leopard. A few things I would love to get perfected so that I can quit messing with (and ultimately screwing up) my install.

1. Need to perfect my SL sleep: right now when I tell the pc to go to sleep it appears to work correctly - however when I turn it back on it doesn't boot all the way back up. I then have to hold the power button and force it off before booting it back up. When I do this the pc actually resumes correctly with whatever I had running before putting it to sleep. To get it this far I had to turn off secure memory. My understanding is that to get sleep to work better I need to turn secure memory back on, is this correct?

2. The only feature I care about from Lion or Mountain Lion is integration with iCloud. Has anyone tried the hacks or workarounds to make it sync with your iphone/ipad? If so, are they working well? Thanks for any input.

• Administrators

Hi,

1) I've had no problem with Sleep per sé on my D620 (see specs in signature). When I run EDP (you should install the latest EDP 3 available), I do not proceed with the pre-defined values but with my own and install the NullCPUManagement + SleepEnabler + Simulated SpeedStep, followed by the hibernation fix + touch S/L/E fix.

After that, I can close the lid of press Fn-Esc to put the D620 to sleep and press On-Off button or open the lid to wake it. No need to configure the BIOS system password like that appeared necessary on other laptops like the D4x0 to avoid KP at wake-up.

The only issue that subsist and that I have not fixed yet, is the screen switch-off (I see this called the 'black screen' issue). I don't know if this is configured somewhere, but after some period of idle time, the screen will go off black and when I press a key or move the mouse, it sorts of switches back on but stays dark grey. I've tried to modify the EnergySaving settings in 'Preferences' but it made no difference. I can't see anything in the BIOs for that either.

The only way to get my screen back again is to put the D620 to sleep and wake it. Everything then works Ok.

Could you give us your exact D620 specifications, especially the graphics?

Hi,

1) I've had no problem with Sleep per sé on my D620 (see specs in signature). When I run EDP (you should install the latest EDP 3 available), I do not proceed with the pre-defined values but with my own and install the NullCPUManagement + SleepEnabler + Simulated SpeedStep, followed by the hibernation fix + touch S/L/E fix.

After that, I can close the lid of press Fn-Esc to put the D620 to sleep and press On-Off button or open the lid to wake it. No need to configure the BIOS system password like that appeared necessary on other laptops like the D4x0 to avoid KP at wake-up.

The only issue that subsist and that I have not fixed yet, is the screen switch-off (I see this called the 'black screen' issue). I don't know if this is configured somewhere, but after some period of idle time, the screen will go off black and when I press a key or move the mouse, it sorts of switches back on but stays dark grey. I've tried to modify the EnergySaving settings in 'Preferences' but it made no difference. I can't see anything in the BIOs for that either.

The only way to get my screen back again is to put the D620 to sleep and wake it. Everything then works Ok.

Could you give us your exact D620 specifications, especially the graphics?

I have the Intel GMA 950 graphics on my D620. 4gb ram, and 320gb hdd. 2ghz processor.

I see your list of items but I have a question... NullCPUManagement + SleepEnabler + Simulated SpeedStep, followed by the hibernation fix + touch S/L/E fix

-> If I remember correctly, NullCPUManagement, SleepEnabler, and Simulated Speedstep are under configuration.

Then you go to fixes and do the hibernation fix? What is the touch S/L/E fix? Do you do them in a certain order?

• Administrators

I do the kext installation (you don't choose any order there), then I do the hibernation fix and then the S/L/E fix. Obviously, I'd always do the kext installation before the fixes...

I do the next installation (you don't choose any order there), then I do the hibernation fix and then the S/L/E fix. Obviously, I'd always do the next installation before the fixes...

Sorry, one other question - do you do secure virtual memory, or do you have that unchecked? Thanks.

I currently have it unchecked. I tried to install the configuration and fixes that you have. When I resume from standby it shows my desktop, however my keyboard and mouse are non-functional. I think it is an Intel GMA 950 problem and I may have to do the old school fix with the bios password to work around it.

Update: I have done the bios password and other fix and it seems to have worked. Looks like the sweet Intel GMA 950 is the culprit again. I think I will leave the bios password on since it works like a charm now that I've done that.

Now onto the iCloud integration - if I could get that in SL that would be great.