macOS Monterey 12.0 beta1

Hervé

• Administrators

Further to the announcement made at today's WWDC event, Apple released the 1st beta of macOS 12 Monterey to developers. It can be downloaded after installing the latest devs Beta access utility available in all good places such as here or by using the associated InstallAssistant as stated here.

On the bad news front, not much to say other than support for Ivy Bridge HD4000 is dropped as could be expected given that it remained unofficially supported in Big Sur.

On the good news front, we'll note that:

1. although support for pre-2015 Haswell-based iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air models appears officially dropped, support for Haswell-based Mac mini Late-2014 has remained and with it, support for Haswell graphics!
  2. support for nVidia Kepler card has remained too!

Other good news is that Monterey beta1 installs with the exact same settings as Big Sur. Pending the usual necessary kexts' update, the only additional requirements I found for my Skylake/HD520 Latitude E7270 were:

1. Lilu's -lilubetaall boot arg to avoid system reset.
  2. WhateverGreen's -wegbeta boot arg to avoid KP on wake.

Other than that, nothing at all and I was even able to install, boot and run Monterey beta1 with Clover r5133. Ace!

E7270_Monterey.jpg

E7270_i7-6600U_HD520_Monterey-12.0.jpg

So far, but it's only been a very very short time, everything works fine and as per Big Sur.

Installation was much much quicker than what I have experienced with all versions of Big Sur and it only required 2 x reboots.

Bootloader recommendations:

• Clover r5133 or later
  • OpenCore 0.6.9 or later
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Lilu & PlugIns now updated to support macOS 12 Monterey. Available off the Dortania Opencore kexts repo. After updating the kexts, the beta boot args are no longer necessary.

Early reports of problems with Bluetooth. Remove your BT injectors and patched kexts if you encounter issues.

• Thanks 2

• Administrators

Haswell platforms with HD4x00/5000 iGPUs remain fully supported. The only requirements is to switch to MacBookPro11,4 SMBIOS. Otherwise, same story as mentioned before: macOS 12 beta1 installs and runs with the exact same settings as Big Sur's (Clover or OpenCore).

Tosh_R50B_Mon_12.0.jpg

HD4400 VGA output remains supported OOB! :-)

HD4400_VGA_Monterey_beta1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

• Administrators

OCLP 0.1.7 patcher has been released. It brings support for HD4000 graphics in Monterey beta1.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-12-monterey-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2299557/post-30014550

Make sure to enable automatic login quickly after 1st boot setup to avoid subsequent problems with the Windows server/graphics initialisation and consequential inability to complete the boot and reach desktop.

Tested on my Latitude E6230 on an external USB disk. Runs at much higher CPU speeds than before and therefore very hot at times. Will probably have to experiment with CPUFriend on that front. Probably why system is unstable and keeps crashing with sudden complete reset after a while.

E6230_Monterey_12.0.b1.jpg

E6230_HD3000_SysInfo_Graphics.jpg