D620 SL EDP issue

Skullster

Hi again... Hope I am not being too much of a pain.

I have successfully installed SL on my D620 using Myhack+Bootpack

I have the desktop booting fine but without sound.

I have downloaded the install.sh script and placed in in the root of the drive and run the commands as instructed.

All seemed to go well apart from some errors output follows:-

Copying sl kexts to /Extra/Extensions..

cp: /Extra/storage/standard/sl/Extensions/*: No such file or directory

Copying common kexts to /Extra/Extensions..

cp: /Extra/Models/Dell_Latitude_D620-nvidia/common/Extensions/*: No such file or directory

Copying sl kexts to /Extra/Extensions..

cp: /Extra/Models/Dell_Latitude_D620-nvidia/sl/Extensions/*: No such file or directory

Step 3) Call myFix to do the new build... *******

The system reboots fine but sound still is not working. Has there been some error?

• Administrators

Don't worry about the error messages, they won't prevent anything from working.

Now, re: lack of sound, I guess you proceeded with "pre-defined values" for kexts in EDP. Run EDP again and opt for your own values this time. Choose 'VoodooHDA (more stable)' option and you should get your sound back. That's how I fixed it.

• Administrators

I'd be interested to hear if you experience the 'black screen' issue. This is when the screen goes off before the computer goes to sleep, but when you try to reactivate it, it stays dark.

Found a workaround, but it seems to have other side effects...

Hi again Hervé. I do indeed have that issue. I thought it was sleep related but it happened too soon. I have disabled screen off and it seems to work OK. Wonder what went on there? I'm just installing combo update to 10.6.8. When thats done I presume I just run EDP again before rebooting to make sure its all OK. Should I run Myhack/fix first?

• Administrators

Yes, you should be able to upgrade to 10.6.8 without hiccups but maybe your downloaded combo upgrade is corrupt. After the installation and before reboot, re-run EDP 3, re-install your kexts and myFix will automatically be run at the end. You can then reboot to 10.6.8 successfully.

Out of curiosity, how did you disable screen off?

The comboupdate followed by edptools did the trick now at 10.6.8. Sound is working fine just need to resolve the screen not coming back after screen blank. It just stays grey although the OS is still responding underneath. Nvidia kext issue?

• Administrators

I don't know (yet) what causes that black screen issue, but it's bugging me. The D620 does that in SL and in Lion, grrr.

I think I had seen a message from Leon that indicated a possible AppleIntegratedBuffer kext issue. To be confirmed...

I have found that an alternative to setting the Energy Saving parameters to off/never via the Preferences panel is to open the Chameleon Boot plist in /Extra with the wizard and set the "darkwake" parameter.