macOS doesn’t boot with boot-args

pas.fornito

Yesterday I tried to install macOS 12 and to do so I had to use -v and -lilubetaall. By doing so, I noticed that neither Monterey nor Big Sur (that works fine without that boot-args) boot. I tried to boot Big Sur with -v only and not even in that case it boots.

Specs:

ASUS Laptop TP550LJ

Intel i5 5500HD

Nvidia 920m

I linked my EFI + boot logs from booting Big Sur

Opencore.zip

• Administrators

Make sure to Reset NVRAM each time you make a change to your OC config. If all that you did was add/delete the afore mentioned boot args, no reason why you would not boot back into Big Sur.

I reset NVRAM from the Opencore menu, once rebooted I tried to boot both the Monterey installer and the Big Sur volume. None of them booted, in fact they both rebooted after some seconds. And yes, the only change I did was adding the boot-args.

• Administrators

The only strange/incorrect things I notice are that:

1. you inject CpuTscSync kext for your CPU. You failed to provide details specs about it, so can't say more but I doubt you'd need this on a dual or quad core processor. I'd disable this.
  2. you use MBA8,1 SMBIOS which, imo, is entirely inappropriate for your Broadwell laptop given that it's an Amber Lake Y/UHD617 Mac; you should have been using MBA7,x SMBIOS knowing that MBP12,1 is effectively the norm for Broadwell/HD5x00-6x00 laptops.

Also, given that you appear to run on the Intel HD5x00 iGPU, why don't you disable the nVidia dGPU? If you do not use it, it's better to disable it to avoid draining your battery unnecessarily.