Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

Has anyone out there made any headway with installation of Mountain Lion on the E6400/E6500? That was the question I asked starting this thread. I can now say I have, with the help of forum members dafob, Patel4Prez and Tengokuu (in alphabetic order). I would like to dedicate it to my Mom, who passed away at the beginning of this venture.

THIS GUIDE COVERS INSTALLATION ON MACHINES WITH THE NVIDIA NVS 160M GRAPHICS OPTION. THE MACHINES WITH INTEGRATED GRAPHICS (GMA 4500MHD) DO NOT OFFER QE/CI AND ARE PRESENTLY UNSUPPORTED FOR PROPER GRAPHICS. A SOLUTION TO OBTAIN QE/CI ON THESE MODELS REMAINS A WORK IN PROGRESS.

First order of business: Things need to start the install:

~ 8GB Flash Drive
~ MyHack (I used 3.1.2)(drag into applications folder & please donate)
~ Mountain Lion ESDInstall.dmg (DP, GM or Apple Store)
~ Bootpack for M4300 (from bootpacks, under E.D.P. tab above
* Black Screen issues have occurred for some using this bootpack. You may want to use the E6400/E6500 Lion bootpack, remembering to remove the arch i386 key and string within the org.chameleon.Boot.plist (if you're not sure how to do this, I will explain it at the bottom of this section). Until we confirm this to work properly, it will remain here. Once confirmed, it will be placed in the bootback section.
~ IOPCIFamily.kext (modified version - attached to bottom of this post)
~ KextWizard.zip (from here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1604&act=down&actionhash=guest)
~ Modified Nvidia kexts (from post #43 of this forum)

+To use the Lion E6400/E6500 boot pack: Download the bootpack. From downloads, drag it to your desktop. If it still in a zip file click it until it becomes a folder. Double click the folder until you see the contents. Drag the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to your desktop, right click on it and click "open with" , then choose "other". In the applications box that opens, scroll down to "Text Edit", higlight it and click the open button. Your org.chameleon.Boot.plist will open in a form that will allow you to edit. The lines you want to delete are the Key and string that are at the bottom (they say arch and i386). Highlight just those two lines (nothing else) and hit backspace, which will remove those lines. Hit the red button to close and then drag the org.chameleon.Boot.plist back into the file and close the file. Leave the resulting Extra file on your desktop to use when asked for by My Hack during installation.

PREPARING THE INSTALLER
:

Download the items to your desktop (we'll just plug in the flash drive). Using MyHack to create your installer on the 8GB flash drive, choose the option to create a 10.8 installer and point it to the ML ESDInstall.dmg and let it do it's thing (20-30 minutes depending on processor speed and flash drive used). Once completed, open KextWizard, go to the installation tab, drag your IOPCIFamily.kext into the install box, click on backup replaced kexts, System/Library/Extensions, choose the target as your Installer and Install. After this has completed, go into your applications folder and open MyHack. Choose to run My Fix, select the Installer your just created, choose to run a Full Fix (3-5 minutes). When that has completed open Kext Wizard again, choose your Installer, drag the 3 Nvidia kexts into the install box, choose backup replaced kexts, choose System/Library/Extensions and Install. After this completes, click on the Maintenance tab of Kext Wizard, check both Extra and System/Library/Extensions, choose your installer, click on Execute. When it's done, reboot your system (it may take longer than usual to reboot as your system "digests" the changes). We're now ready to install!

PRE-INSTALL CHECK:

Before installing, make sure your Hard Drive is in AHCI mode and shut down bluetooth as these impact your install. To put your hard drive in AHCI mode, you need to enter BIOS by tapping the f2 key repeatedly during startup. You will enter System Properties. Use the down arrow key to highlight the System Configuration section and hit enter. As it expands, use the down arrow to highlight SATA Operation, then hit Enter. After it expands, using your cursor, click the AHCI button, click apply, then click exit. You will then boot normally. On the right side of the laptop, move the switch so the red is exposed. This shuts off wireless devices. Then continue with your install.

INSTALLING MOUNTAIN LION:

Using the installer you created, boot up your system, tapping the f12 key (option to allow for a one time boot order change). When the option to choose comes up, select the USB by using the down arrow. Hit enter. On the next screen, hit any key when prompted. Enter -v (it will show in the lower left). This is Verbose mode, which shows you what is being loaded and will help figure out any errors if they occur. Hit enter again. Pages of loading files will go by. It may pause or slow several times. If it stops for more that a minute note where it stopped and power down and ask for help on these forums. This should bring you to the installer screen. First choose disk utility. In disk utility highlight your hard drive on the left. On the right, choose partition, where it say current, hit the dropdown and pick 1 partition. Then rename your drive to anything you want (usually Macintosh HD), choose Journaled (extended), click option and make sure GUID is selected, OK and partition your drive. Quit Disk Utility, install your system (make sure you install on your hard drive!). Near the end of Installation, choose to install your own extra and choose yes to the following three pop-ups. It might say your install failed. It most likely didn't. Power down and remove your installer. At this point, move the switch on the right side back to operational position (no red showing) to re-enable wireless devices (WiFi, Bluetooth etc.). Power up your computer. If things went well, you will see the Mac setup screen in a couple of minutes. Follow the setup screen to get into your new installation.

FIXES FOR PROBLEMS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER:
Depending on your installation method, problems you may run across (and some of us have during testing) and solutions (you will need to use Ethernet to install the WiFi fix). It is never a bad idea to use disk utility to repair permissions whenever you upgrade or download files!

WIFI: Download and install IO80211Family.kext in E/E, run My Fix from here: (http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=921&act=down&actionhash=guest)

ETHERNET: Download and instal Intel82566MM.kext in E/E, run My Fix from here: (http://www.osx86.net/view/2216-intel82566mm.kext.html)

AUDIO: Download and install VooDooHDA 2.7.4 package, upon completion it will say install failed, just reboot (volume control on bottom of System Preferences panel (from here: (http://www.osx86.net/view/2746-voodoohda_2.7.4_pkg_installer.html/). Newer version 2.8.4 has been released and works well.

SD CARD READER: Download and install VooDooSDHC.kext.zip in E/E, run My Fix from here: (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=844)

BATTERY: Download and install VooDooBattery.kext in E/E, run My Fix from here: (http://g60jx-hackintosh.googlecode.com/files/VoodooBattery.kext.zip)

BLACK SCREEN ON BOOT: Some users have reported a Black Screen issue on boot using the M4300 bootpack, which was not an issue using the Lion version of the E6400/E6500 bootpack PROVIDED they remove the arch i386 key and string from the plist within

GRAPHICS: WORKS WITH ACCELERATION

BLUETOOTH: WORKS NATIVELY

WEBCAM: WORKS NATIVELY

TRACKPAD & TOUCHSTICK: WORK NATIVELY

SOME OF THE TESTERS HAVE REPORTED SLEEP/SHUTDOWN & RESTART WORKING NATIVELY, OTHERS DO NOT HAVE. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE SLEEPENABLER, IT MAY KP YOUR SYSTEM, ESPECIALLY IF RUNNING APPLEINTELCPUMANAGENENT.KEXT. DELETING MAY HELP, ADDING NULLCPU.KEXT OR DISABLER.KEXT MAY HELP - THESE ARE CURRENTLY UNTESTED.

UPDATE 10.8.2 FIXES: After an update to 10.8.2, some users experience Kernel Panics upon reboot. Occassionally this is normal and a second boot may be necessary. Additionally, forum member DaFOB noticed graphics issues after sleep and delivered a solution. If you are unable to boot normally, boot into Safe Mode (-x boot flag), replace these three kexts with Kext Wizard (to S/L/E) - GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext (using the edited kexts linked below). Make sure to hit the maintenance tab after Installation, checking both E/E & S/L/E sections (may take a little while). Reboot, and you should be good as new. If still having a problem with boot (though unlikely), you may have to replace your AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one linked below (this is for very early followers of this thread, who may have reverted to an earlier version of the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext). If this resolves your problem, please take the time to say Thanks to DaFOB.

NVIDIA 10.8.2 EDITED KEXTS: Nvidia 10.8.2.zip

AppleACPIPlatform.kext: AppleACPIPlatform.kext 2.zip

UPDATE 10.8.3 FIXES: Upon the update to 10.8.3, some experienced issues, others did not. Member DaFOB (who contributed to the testing and compilation of this guide) has posted NVIDIA kexts if you receive an Installation failed message that didn't allow you to update your system (You may get a false Installation failed message, where the Installation worked - after re-booting check your "About this Mac" to see if it updated or not). Those kexts and installation information are here: . https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1764-mountain-lion-on-e6400-in-5-steps/ (Mountain Lion on E6400 in 5 steps!, at the bottom of post 1).

If you get a KP from VooDooHDA 2.7.4 (or any VooDooHDA kext), boot into your system in Safe Mode (use -x when booting), navigate to your hard drive, go into System/Library/Extensions and Move the VooDooHDA kext to the Trash, reboot. Download and re-install VooDooHDA (either 2.7.4 or the latest 2.8.2). Go into applications, click on MyHack run a MyFix (use Full MyFix and make sure you are running the fix on your hard drive).

UPDATE FOR 10.8.4: Initially, it appears there is just the false indication that the installation was not successful, then relief when it appears that all went well, no KP's and no modified kexts. But as Bronxteck has pointed out, when you get that message, the update has placed a version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (version 1.7) in your S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) folder that will create problems with your kext cache creation as it conflicts with version 1.3.5 which resides in your E/E folder (Extra/Extensions). Best to remove the offending kext (version 1.7 in S/L/E), and run MyFix, rebuilding your cache and permissions to avoid this issue. On some of the D Series laptops, the update broke WiFi with at least one card. I am not aware of a WiFi issue with any of the E Series cards (I use a DW1510), but if you have experienced a WiFi issue upon updating, please let me know, so we may search for a fix and/or edit the compatible hardware list.

If you are new to this or a novice, I strongly recommend you read this thread, not just the how to. It will give you an idea of how this is done, how to problem solve and hopefully, encourage you to contribute. ONCE AGAIN MY THANKS TO THIS COMMUNITY, ESPECIALLY, DAFOB, PATEL4PREZ & TENGOKUU FOR THEIR TIME, EFFORTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS PROJECT.

By the way (almost forgot): This posting is for educational purposes only, to help people understand the relationship between software and hardware and how it relates to the operation of an overall system. It is not intended to encourage or induce anyone to violate any agreements they may have entered (read: Apple's EULA). I further do not encourage the use of pirated software.

Nvidia 10.8.2.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

Extra.zip

• Like 1

Alright. I shall do that.

After spending much of the night on it, I have succeeded in installing Mountain Lion GM on my beloved E6500, using a separate hard drive, although it still needs some kext tinkering. I have a doctors appointment to get to, but will add a detailed how-to upon return.

After spending much of the night on it, I have succeeded in installing Mountain Lion GM on my beloved E6500, using a separate hard drive, although it still needs some kext tinkering. I have a doctors appointment to get to, but will add a detailed how-to upon return.

So the graphics is supported after all? (QE/CI)

Also, good job. If you got GM going, should be no doubt getting the official release up.

EDIT: Also, define kext tinkering. What's not working on your system at the moment?

Hello, could you post your used kext and dsdt.aml to correct working ML on e6500?

thanks

I was able to install Mountain Lion on my E6500 using the following:

~8GB Flash Drive

~My Hack (3.1.2 worked for me)

~Mountain Lion GM.dmg (or ESDInstall.dmg from App Store download)

~Bootpack for M4300 (ML version) or Bootpack for E6400/E6500 (Lion version)

~IOPCIFamily.kext (from here: (http://rghost.ru/36725213)(Netkas.org)

If you don't already have the above, download them (I used version 3.1.2 of My Hack) on your Mac or Hackintosh. Use My Hack option to create ML installer (10.8), point it to your Mountain Lion image and let it do it's thing (usually 20-30 minutes depending on processor speed and Flash drive used). When you get to the option to choose between a generic extra folder or your own, I used the M4300 that I downloaded. Another member, dafob reports success using the Lion version of E6400/E6500 bootpack, modifying it by removing the lines "arch" & " 1386" from the org.chameleon.boot.plist file (Thanks dafob). After testing, again by member dafob it has been confirmed it is not necessary to remove/replace the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext as this IOPCIFamily.kext. has been modified to work with the existing Apple APCIPlatform.kext. Open System/Library/Extensions folder Drag and drop the IOPCIFamily.kext (kext only, not the folder) and authenticate. Go back to the Installer and drag and drop the folder (from the IOPCIFamily (ML.zip) package) to the root. After this is complete, go into the Applications folder of your Mac or hackintosh and Open the My Hack app. Choose run My Fix, choose the installer you made (not / - which is your hard drive). When the option comes up, choose Full Fix (about 3-5 minutes). After it has completed reboot, tapping the f12 key during splash screen. When the option comes up use the key to highlight your usb. Hit Enter on next screen hit any key, add boot flags -v (verbose mode - to identify any problems if they should arise) and -x (safe boot - to avoid loading any unnecessary kexts that might cause problems). Hit Enter. This should take you to the Install screen (hopefully you know what to do there). After that completes, restart. I had to use the installer to reboot into the set-up screen, where I set my installation up. Hopefully, you will be greeted by the Milky Way.

Things that still need work (this is just a start, hopefully):

Bootloader needs to be re-installed (My Hack).

Graphics needs to be looked at (choppy, flashing in Dashboard).

Safe boot boot flag was used due to an issue with ??? (kext modification or replacement may be needed).

As indicated above other kexts may need to be installed, removed or patched to optimize the system.

THIS IS THE START OF A WORK IN PROGRESS - ANY ASSISTANCE IS WELCOME AND APPRECIATED.

I have other things I need to do, sleep among them. I did not have a chance to look into very much after getting the installation done. If you see something that I haven't mentioned or have a solution to something I have (or haven't) mentioned, the community welcomes it!

• Like 1