Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

Well, I'm back from a incredibly busy day, and I can confirm that removing those NVD kexts allowed me to boot into ML without the -x flag.

After I DIDN'T boot into safe boot however, I got a problem with VoodooHDA giving me a KP. (So don't use it.), and my Wi-Fi broke. What gives?

I'm not sure, my Wi-Fi broke also, but I have Ethernet. I tried putting the NVidia device id into the kext NVDANV100hal.kext and deleted the NVDANV50hal.kext and NVDSMU.kext, ran my fix, no good. I have done the same on the bootstick and I'm re-installing it now, I'll let you know if there's any difference. As far as Wi-Fi, I'm not sure what went awry, it recognized my rebranded card initially, but I lost it yesterday. Works fine in Lion.

When booting 'normally' I can get the audio/mic to work using VoodooHDA, but specifically with the version I have posted below, I can get more out of it.

I am not sure which version it is (I forgot; I used it in Lion though) but it gives you some level of volume control (the sound completely turns off after about 6 'squares' in the volume control popup to the left of the maximum volume 'square') and a working microphone, whereas the one that came with the ML4300 pack remained at the same volume, whether turned all the way down or up.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Place in System/Library/Extensions (Note: you may have to replace the one currently there if you used Darvinko's install method) and repair permissions using anything you'd like (Disk Utility, MyHack, etc.)

I'm not sure, my Wi-Fi broke also, but I have Ethernet. I tried putting the NVidia device id into the kext NVDANV100hal.kext and deleted the NVDANV50hal.kext and NVDSMU.kext, ran my fix, no good. I have done the same on the bootstick and I'm re-installing it now, I'll let you know if there's any difference. As far as Wi-Fi, I'm not sure what went awry, it recognized my rebranded card initially, but I lost it yesterday. Works fine in Lion.

Looking in verbose mode, it seems to be having a problem loading what looks to be the kext for the Broadcom card. The line reads this "Cant load kext com.apple.driver.airport.brcm4331" (brcm or brdcm, eitherway, same thing)

I also read another line but the words were something like this "Kext failed to load com.apple.driver.airport.brcm4331" something like this. Verbose mode goes too fast, especially with an SSD. <_<

It was the only thing in verbose mode that read something about a Wi-Fi loading issue, try it too.

I don't have an SSD, I was getting that same message. It was (when I had Wi-Fi), followed by another message showing the handshake for Airport, and I would have Wi-Fi, so I'm not sure if that's the problem. On the same hand, I didn't think the NVDAResman.kext was involved in the installation hang. I know Apple has made some moves in the past that have affected kexts and the bundles that utilize them, but that is an area beyond my abilities (at least for now - I hope to learn more from this). Unfortunately, my mother passed early this morning, and I will be away and busy for a little while. Hopefully, much headway will be made in the coming days.

I have figured out how to avoid using the -x boot flag while booting up our systems. It boots properly, restarts properly, audio, bluetooth, eject and time machine icons show in the menu bar and the system response is much snappier. All Nvidia kexts stay in S/L/E and the device id must be inserted into the following kexts: GeForce.kext, NVDANV50hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext. You must use TextEdit to accomplish this (if you are uncomfortable using it, maybe someone will be kind enough to post the edited kexts.

First, I suggest you go to System Preferences->Security->unlock security->allow applications downloaded from anywhere.

Then go to Safari and download kext wizard.

The device id you will be entering is for the Nvidia Quadro NVS160 graphics controller (if you don't have that graphics controller, this won't help.

The device id you will be entering is: 0x06eb10de&0xffe0ffff (these are all zeros, not the letter o)

Now, open Mountain Lion, go into S/L/E and go to the kexts mentioned above. I did these one kext at a time. For the GeForce.kext and the NVDAResman.kext, insertion will be in the form of IOPCIMatch followed by 0x06eb10de&0xffe0ffff. You need the drag the kext (we'll start with the GeForce.kext) to you desktop. After it's on your desktop, right click it and click on "Show Package Contents". A contents folder will show. Double click it and the contents will show. Drag the info.plist to your desktop. Right click and go to "open with", slide it to show your options and click "TextEdit". You will then click on open to see an expanded info.plist which you can edit. In the GeForce.kext, place these (The key and string lines from above) in between the other IOPCIMatch and the IOPProbeScore (in the second grouping, offset a little to the right of the first grouping). Start at the end of the end of that IOPCI's string line, hit enter (after hitting the space bar enough to start directly under the line above) and enter those two lines. Make sure these are two separate lines - follow the same format you see. MAKE SURE THESE LINES ARE EXACTLY AS SHOWN OR THEY WILL NOT WORK AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-EDIT THEM. After you have added the two lines, close the TextEdit box, drag the info.plist back to the contents, close the contents box. Leave the edited kext on your desktop. Follow the same procedure for the NVDAResman.kext, placing the two line again between the string line of the last IOPCIMatch and before the IOProbeScore (these lines are in the third grouping). For the NVDANV50hal.kext, you only need add the device id number I indicated above (no key or string). Open the kext the same way, go down to where you see a group of devices id's (similar format to your's -just different number and letters) add the device id between the one that starts with 0x06e010 and the one that starts with 0x086010. Close the same way, again, leave the kext on the desktop. Close all boxes and open kext wizard, click on the installation tab. Make sue you check the Backup kexts that will be replaced (they will be saved to a folder on your desktop - you can always drag them to the trask later). Make sure you click the System/Library/Extensions destination tab. Drag the three kexts to the "Select kexts to install" box. Click install. When that's done, click the maintenance tab, click on both Extra and System/Library/Extensions tab. Click Execute. When that's done reboot (shut down and startup may take longer than usual as ML "digests" the changes). If it takes longer than five minutes, hold the power button for a second, look for signs of hard drive activity, if hard drive light blinks wait another minute or two, and then shut down with power button.

Graphics still needs work, audio shows, but isn't working (kext installation likely), bluetooth (if you have it) shows, time machine shows (I didn't check either of them), keyboard and trackpad (which had stopped working for me) work again. Sorry I didn't check more out, I have to leave, but wanted to throw this out there.

Would someone please edit these kexts and make the edited versions available for those who don't know how to or are hesitant to edit them themselves? Thank You