Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

First off I just want to say thanks to all of you guys for your efforts. Heres what I've come up with. I have a nearly perfect install now, the biggest thing I found was installing each kext one at a time and running my fix to avoid panics. I've had it near perfect a few times following the guide in the beginning of this post, but never could get sleep to work. Now I have sleep working, in order to do that I had to delete both yes I had two appleintelcpupowermanagment.kext from S/L/E and add the NullCPUManagement.kext then running my fix, next i added sleepenabler.kext using kexthelper next i repaired permissions and rebooted. After rebooting i followed patel4prez's guide he wrote to remove sleep image and change hibernate. That got my sleep working very nicely with the lid. Now I'm going to install aperture and iWork and try updating those, hopefully all will go well.

Couple of notes and question.

Question Every time I run my fix from inside the operating system it take 30 to 45min to complete it use to only take 5 maybe 10. But if i boot into the osx installer and run my fix on / It would only take 5 maybe 10 min, this if what i did for most of the kext installs.

Also I use to be able to use the M4300 boot pack no problem just didnt have all the mouse or power button options, but now I get a black screen when trying to install with that boot pack weird. The modified E6400 boot pack worked well.

One final question I'm currently on BIOS A29 should i flash to the newest BIOS or leave it alone? I think I was acually on A20 when I was not having a problem using the M4300 Boot Pack.

Thank's Again to you all, I hope I can help other's half as much as you all have helped me.

You're welcome!

As far as repairing permissions/runnign myHack goes, I didn't really use myHack post-installation. I only used Kext Wizard to repair permissions because myHack took forever. As to why it does this, I don't know, but Kext Wizard takes about 5-7 mins. max.

I flashed the A32 BIOS when I first began using Mountain Lion on my 6400 and the only thing that changed was my boot time; it decreased by about 5 seconds :) . So really, it's up to you. If you'd like, you can flash a new one and maybe see an increase in performance, but keep in mind you will need a version of Windows or a DOS boot disk to do so...

the reason that myhack takes longer is because it is building a kernel cach and moving your extra into s\l\e while correcting permissions... you should not mix the methods. faster does not mean better.

Bronxteck (and everyone else),

Please note that I am somewhat new and am trying to learn, so please take my questions in this spirit. :)

1. Why not mix the methods?

2. I thought that it was OK to keep \kexts in E/E or S/L/E?

3. What is the preferred method to add a kext, either Kext Wizard, Kext Helper, myHack, others?

4. When and how should you repair permissions? myHack (Full or slow?), Kext Wizard Maintenance Tab, other way (like a script)?

5. I really want to get sleep and standby to work, but my WIFI is not working (it did work in Lion, but I remember having to fiddle with it).

My big question is this, if I start adding and removing kexts to the E/E folder and S/L/E folder, and something messes up will I be able to get back to a workable state? Should I copy each of those folders before I add a new kext, fix permissions, reboot to check it is working, Repeat for the other kexts?

Being a Windows guy, I could always figure it out; I'm just apprehensive about adding and especially removing kexts from those folders (esp. S/L/E).

Thanks for your help,

CP

the reason that myhack takes longer is because it is building a kernel cach and moving your extra into s\l\e while correcting permissions... you should not mix the methods. faster does not mean better.

But Kext Wizard also rebuilds the kernel cache and repairs permissions, and that doesn't take long for it to do. So I guess moving the kexts from S/L/E is what's taking a while? I know that when myHack moves the kexts, it really just adds them as plugins to the myHack.kext, but that shouldn't take 30-45 minutes... Should it?

no you might have bad permissions on your disk, use disk utility to fix them first.

I'll check for a bad permission and try again.

Now that I have a almost perfect system, my next interest is what should the CPU temps be for th e6400. Mine seem to be around 60C when watching a YouTube video, and constantly between 40-50 C with light web browsing. I am using Tempature monitor 4.96

Just wondering since I have changed my heatsink to acomidate nivida motherboard and replaces factory heat sink compound with Article silver 5

But Kext Wizard also rebuilds the kernel cache and repairs permissions, and that doesn't take long for it to do. So I guess moving the kexts from S/L/E is what's taking a while? I know that when myHack moves the kexts, it really just adds them as plugins to the myHack.kext, but that shouldn't take 30-45 minutes... Should it?

When you install OS X with myHack, NEVER use Kext Wizard or Disk Utility to rebuild cache. To use the OS X Kernel Cache, that makes the system boot faster, you need to have all kexts in S/L/E. But Hackintoshers don't like that, it is way nicer to have everything inside Extra.

Conti, the creator of myHack, designed some things to use Kernel Cache with the kexts inside your Extra folder. It will create a myHack.kext with all kexts inside it, so it will load inside /Extra. I don't know exactly what myfix does, but I can say it's better then Kext Wizard.

I want to thank you guys so much for helping me.

I GOT SLEEP WORKING!!!

A couple of little glitches but I'll get there.

Anyone having slowdowns at the Dell logo screen with the blue bar progressing to the right?

That's a normal thing (takes longer depending on how much RAM you have) In BIOS, try setting the Boot Time to Minimal.

That's a normal thing (takes longer depending on how much RAM you have) In BIOS, try setting the Boot Time to Minimal.

It was fast but suddenly slowed down.

I need to do more checking but it appears that if I close the lid then sleep works well.

WIth the computer left on, the Display sleep will work fine, but the Computer sleep locks up my computer.

CP

Edited by CypressPearl