E6400

twinflyer

dell latitude e6400

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card

Unable to install lion. The steps I have taken are as follows

Purchased the latest version of lion 10.7.4 and had zero luck

So Next I downloaded 10.7.3 from the web

Next downloaded latest version of My hack, and boot pack for E6400 from this site

Created Bootable usb with My Hack using 10.7.3 DMG

Ran My Hack again Chose install extra and installed the boot pack downloaded from here

In Bios Changed SATA to AHCI and disabled and disabled two things cant recall right now will have to reboot to rember. I also re flashed bios to A20 just in case

Next I installed Lion chose to use the generic boot pack, which i assume is the one downloaded from here, and chose yes for each suggested removal. installation successful

Re ran the usb install program and installed chameleon on Mac Partition. I forgot to mention in the set up i made two partition one for mac and one for a later win 7 install

Lion refuses to run without the usb In other words I have use usb to boot every time.

When Lion does run I have no battery meter no wifi no display and multiple other things.

If some one would take the time to walk a complete noob through the correct process of installing lion and getting wifi and stuff to work i would be much appreciated. One of the biggest things is not having to use the usb drive to boot every time. I would love to eventually be able to also run win 7 from time to time later on.

Thank You in advanced

Okay first, when installing DO NOT USE GENERIC EXTRA. Select "Use Your Own" and select the Extra folder from the USB stick.

next boot -v -f arch=i386, install 10.7.4 and run EDP. Then install Chameleon and reboot.

If that doesn't help you, remake the USB stick, but instead of having myHack install the Extra, delete the Extra from the USB stick and replace it with the bootpack for your system, then go into myHack and run myFix in Full mode on your USB stick and try. Also, your WiFi requires a patched kext.

Moving to E6xxx subforum inside the Dell forum.

Wow Fast response I just rebooted to find other two option i disabled which were MultiCore Support and speed step.

So I can use the New 10.7.4 and throw out the 10.7.3?

So I need to reinstall and select use your own. ( I assumed that when i added extra to usb in overwrote the generic, thats what I get for assuming LOL)

Then on the first boot use -v -f arch=i386, and install chamelon from the lion install screen using My Hack

Or

boot -v -f arch=i386, install 10.7.4 and choose use my own and choose from the usb. then Run EDP??? Not sure what run EDP Means. and Then install Chameleon and reboot (Can i install chamelon from lion using my hack or does it have to be on install screen?)

Again Wow Thanks for the quick response

Yes. Reinstall and when it asks, select Use Your Own Extra and select the one from the USB stick.

You have to download the EDP app from the website. Go to EDP on the top bar of the site and go to Download and download it. That's what I mean by run it, and then when it is done installing make a machine configuration. In your case, Latitude E6400. And no, after you run EDP you won't have to type -v -f arch=i386 again.

Yes. Reinstall and when it asks, select Use Your Own Extra and select the one from the USB stick.

You have to download the EDP app from the website. Go to EDP on the top bar of the site and go to Download and download it. That's what I mean by run it, and then when it is done installing make a machine configuration. In your case, Latitude E6400. And no, after you run EDP you won't have to type -v -f arch=i386 again.

Thank you so much I'll give it a try tomorrow. One more thing will my wifi work after running edp or will i have to download something separate? If so where do I get that?

Thank's in advance

I believe your system has the Intel GMA4500MHD graphics, which is not supported. Go into your BIOS (Tap the f2 key frequently as the Dell screen comes up). It will boot you into System Properties. Scroll down to the Video Controller section (next to last section). If it doesn't say Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M, presently (and unlikely in the future) that your system can support Lion and any OSx operating system after. Click on the exit button (lower right) any it will boot into your system normally (maybe a little slower while it sees if there are any BIOS changes).