Dell Latitude 7490: building OpenCore EFI for Big Sur

VRdP

Hmm I was thinking to replace the touchpad+buttons with combo from another model with same/similar size (5470, 7480 etc.). Is that even possible ? This is the only downside.

Although Karabiner is able to make the buttons and trackpad working but the touchpad got messy, may be we can work it out somehow if the trackpad could be excluded from the rules.

I tried at first but the result was the same, couldn't get the buttons working. I am sure there's a way to fix it even through a couple of additional steps. If Karabiner can make it working easily so is the system. It's not a big deal in the end of the day but sometimes I catch my self pressing the buttons as I am still get use to my Latitude 5450 (this one has better compatibility, hands down).

Hello people,
thanks again for your great support.
Especially quynkk5 I have to thank. Without the hint about the image at Olarila, I would not have even started the attempt.

With things running so nicely, I hooked up a Dell WD15 USB Type-c docking station.
Except for the USB ports and the NIC, everything works.
Is there a possibility to get this to run as well?

Hervé has worked out a great tutorial for this constellation and of course Jake Lo, who has helped me out several times.

If so I will get a touchpad from the 7480 as a spare part and install it in the 7490. A DW1830 is also already on the way.

Stay healthy

6 hours ago, lamatta17 said:

If so I will get a touchpad from the 7480 as a spare part and install it in the 7490. A DW1830 is also already on the way.

Not 100% sure but as I remember the touchpad in 7480 is the same alps l2c with no working touchpad buttons.

Hello people,
Jazzoo motivated me with the statement that the same chips are installed in the touchpad of the 7480 and 7490 to do the following:

I copied the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from the EFI for the 7480 to the EFI 7490, did a nvram-reset and rebooted.
Result:
Nothing changed with the touchpad. Pointer very slow and all buttons without function.
But now the USB ports and the NIC in the WD15 work.

Now only TB is missing and maybe soon there will be a solution for the touchpad and their keys.

Thanks again to all who supported me.

• Moderators

Which version of VoodooPS2?

Can you post a new IOReg file with the WD15 connected?

If you want a system with better touchpad support, you should look for one with a Precision touchpad or Synaptics (SMBus).

The Precision 5510, maybe even newer comes with Precision touchpad and supported by VoodooI2C

The Lenovo T14 and T490 has Synaptics touchpad which is fully supported by VoodooSMBus.

I have a guide and bootpack for both of these systems. But for the 2 Lenovo's, unfortunately the wifi card are Intel and soldered to the system board. There are some support for the Intel but not very stable for me the last time I tested them.

I guess you could go back one model T480 where it still can replace the wifi card.

20 hours ago, lamatta17 said:

Hello people,
Jazzoo motivated me with the statement that the same chips are installed in the touchpad of the 7480 and 7490 to do the following:

I copied the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from the EFI for the 7480 to the EFI 7490, did a nvram-reset and rebooted.

My idea was to physically swap the touchpad from another working model and then try to make the buttons working but as I said I am not 100% sure what's inside 7480 for example. I have only my 7490. 

Also on the same boat about upgrading to 15" laptop. @Jake Lo hint us with Precision 5510. To me this is the ultimate option as this laptop is great and most of the stuff is working according to his guide. 

PS - Don't update your 7490 to Big Sur 11.5 , there's super annoying screen flickering. Trying to work it out now.