Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

Hello, here is a guide I have made to help you easily install OS X Mountain Lion on your Dell, and for you to learn from my errors.

The Mountain Lion Install is easier than the Lion one, and I always HIGHLY recommend making a time machine backup, and then doing a clean install of Mountain Lion.

Making Installation Media:

1. Use myhack to create the installer on either a disk partition or flash drive (must be atleast 8GB)
2. Copy the extra folder supplied with this guide and replace any existing on the installer volume.
3. Be sure to run myfix on the volume, otherwise it will not boot.

Installing Mountain Lion:

1. Boot from your installation media
2. Use disk utility to re-format your boot drive, and install Mountain Lion
3. When myHack asks which extra folder to use, point it to the same one supplied with this guide
4. Remove all kexts that myHack asks about.
5. It should now finish, and say that installer failed because it could not boot from the startup disk.
6. This is normal, just do a manual restart, and be sure to remove your installation media and boot from your hard drive.
7. Soon you will be welcomed with the initial setup, carry on through it. (You will need a USB keyboard and mouse for this bit)

Getting it to work:

1. Once you are at your desktop download and install the latest version of EDP (3)
2. Launch EDP, and provide your password.
3. Choose 1 for Configuration, 9 for this model, and then use predefined values.
4. Confirm the installation, and reboot.
5. Now to get keyboard and trackpad working on the laptop, copy the 4 kexts supplied with this guide into System/Library/Extensions (it may give errors, just ignore)
6. Finally, run another myFix, and reboot.
7. Your Dell Latitude now has some Attitude!!

Here is a quick video of the laptop running Mountain Lion:

The only thing that doesn't work is the touchpoint, but with 2 finger scrolling, I cant complain!

Hope this helped, if you have any questions or suggestions, please reply.

Thanks,

Seb

Keyboard + Mouse Kexts.zip

Extra.zip

• Like 6

Writing this post from my D630 with a freshly install Mountain Lion!

Thanks, everything is working except Two Finger scroll! Iev installed your kexts, and its enabled in settings, is there anything else I need to do?

If I can get two finger scroll working this thing would be perfect. Thanks again

Writing this post from my D630 with a freshly install Mountain Lion!

Thanks, everything is working except Two Finger scroll! Iev installed your kexts, and its enabled in settings, is there anything else I need to do?

If I can get two finger scroll working this thing would be perfect. Thanks again

Glad you got yours working!

The 2 finger scrolling is a bit strange, but I found I got used to it in a while. Instead of actually using 2 fingers, what worked for me was pushing one finger a bit flatter on the trackpad so there was more surface area of my finger on it. Now when you move your finger slightly up or down, it should scroll, it is quite sensitive though!

Let me know if this works.

Seb

Glad there has been so much success with Mountain Lion so far!

There are a few more slight issues that I thought I might point out, they aren't too big though:

Mic doesn't work after sleeping, so to use dictation, dont sleep.

Graphics Acceleration/Animations are slightly sluggish after waking from sleep

The green wifi LED does not light up when on.

Double tapping the Fn key doesn't work for starting dictation, change it to command key/custom

Also, in ML and Lion OS X it has always said 'service battery' in the battery menu tab, even though I have a new battery in the machine.

Is this because it compares the capacity with the model set (Macbook3,1) and notices it is lower?

Anyone else notice this?

Seb

Good tutorial! I've managed to install ML and get it working on my Dell D630c

So I have Dell D630c and few problems. First, no audio and second, no wired ethernet.

So, where to get working kexts?

Every guide just says Dell D630 without c. There is a differense... EDP compatibility chart does not even know Dell D630c

Difference over Dell D630: Intel Ethernet card and Intel wifi card. I have T9500 processor.

Thanks...

Ou and one other thing. VoodooBattery.kext hangs osx o boot. If i delete it from extra, everything works but i cannot see battery stats.

Voodoobattery came with edp, new version. Still at bootup voodoobattery.kext date is around 2009 and made for sl. Why?

Ou and one other thing. VoodooBattery.kext hangs osx o boot. If i delete it from extra, everything works but i cannot see battery stats.

Voodoobattery came with edp, new version. Still at bootup voodoobattery.kext date is around 2009 and made for sl. Why?

Hi,

For wifi, I would suggest replacing the wifi card with a dell 1390 for native support, most D630's come with them but your D630c not. But first take a look at this:

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ theres a download for your card that might work.

For the battery, go through the EDP config and choose a different battery option (i think theres 3 different ones) and tell me if you have any luck with them.

For ethernet: I am not sure which ethernet chip the D630c has (on the dell spec sheet is says both have the same), if you find out you might be able to get a kext for it, otherwise no ethernet.

Thanks,

Seb