Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

• Administrators

Look here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1827-slow-shutdown/page__st__20

Basically, delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext from /System/Library/Extensions (keep a backup just in case) and re-run myFix (full).

Normally, EDP replaces that /S/L/E kext by the version from myHack in /Extra/Extensions (that was the EDP fix) but maybe there is regression following latest EDP update (up to r68 today).

Look here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1827-slow-shutdown/page__st__20

Basically, delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext from /System/Library/Extensions (keep a backup just in case) and re-run myFix (full).

Normally, EDP replaces that /S/L/E kext by the version from myHack in /Extra/Extensions (that was the EDP fix) but maybe there is regression following latest EDP update (up to r68 today).

Thank you very much! it works perfectly!

I also have a question: whether can the resolution be increased? Now, 1280*800 is the largest resolution.

• Administrators

There are 2 LCD models for these laptops:

1) lo. res.: WSXGA (1280x800)

2) hi. res.: WSXGA+ (1440x900)

By default, Mac OS X uses the highest res. supported by the display, so if you're not getting better than 1280x800, you're on a low res. model. You can confirm that through the BIOS system page where you'll see information about the laptop's hardware.

You can only improve that by changing/swapping LCD (incl. inverter + cable, not just the glass panel) or by attaching a higher res. external display. dry.gif

There are 2 LCD models for these laptops:

1) lo. res.: WSXGA (1280x800)

2) hi. res.: WSXGA+ (1440x900)

By default, Mac OS X uses the highest res. supported by the display, so if you're not getting better than 1280x800, you're on a low res. model. You can confirm that through the BIOS system page where you'll see information about the laptop's hardware.

You can only improve that by changing/swapping LCD (incl. inverter + cable, not just the glass panel) or by attaching a higher res. external display. dry.gif

Thanks again!

maybe the lo. res. is enough for me!

:D

• Administrators

Because the bootpack is what it's called: a boot package. It's the basic stuff required to boot and get started (DSDT table + mandatory kexts and modules). It does not contain all the additional EDP stuff or whatever a user may add post-installation (eg: Chameleon themes) in /Extra.

I'm installing Mountain Lion (10.8.2) on a D630, BIOS A17, C2D T7250 2.0GHz, 4GB DDR2-667, Intel GMA X3100, 1280x800.

The HDD is an Intel 520 series SSD.

As I understand it, installing 10.8 is not advised since Apple has dropped support for this graphics processor.

Having completed the install, everything seems ok.

When I reboot, chameleon gets stuck at the boot prompt.  I can try all the different boot options from the drop down menu, but nothing seems to boot from disk.

You're not even getting the ML HDD/partition with delay bar?

Which bootpack did you use, as there is none for D630 X3100 LoRes provided for ML ?

By stuck, I mean that I see the ML HDD/partition and the delay bar runs down, it does not boot.

I did not use any bootpack.  Scrolling up I'm starting to realize where I've gone wrong. (The instructions of this topic did not mention them.)

Are bootpacks so specific to the type of hardware that using another one wouldn't work?

Is my only option to install Lion?

By stuck, I mean that I see the ML HDD/partition and the delay bar runs down, it does not boot.

I did not use any bootpack.  Scrolling up I'm starting to realize where I've gone wrong. (The instructions of this topic did not mention them.)

Are bootpacks so specific to the type of hardware that using another one wouldn't work?

Is my only option to install Lion?

Yes, this bootpack is specifically made and tested by me for the Nvidia model.I would be surprised if it worked on the intel model.

If you try Mountain Lion in the intel model, you will have no quartz extreme, graphics aceleration, and you will be stuck at 1024x768 resolution.

I strongly recommend using Lion, as it works perfectly, and Mountain Lion isnt much better than Lion.

Good Luck