Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

You simply buy it off Apple web site/app store for the astronomical sum of USD $20/EUR 18€! :)  No hesitation to be had...

Hah know that. Just I cant order and then download it using Windows machine. Do they have cd versions in local stores? I thought the only way is to download.

Hah know that. Just I cant order and then download it using Windows machine. Do they have cd versions in local stores? I thought the only way is to download.

Hi sorry i forgot to mention this in the tutorial I wrote becuase I thaught it was easy. 

Mountain Lion is now only available for download, you cannot get a CD. Purchase it off the apple website (or by other means, your choice). You will then need access to a mac (snow leopard or higher) to create your bootable USB drive. There is no point making a bootable DVD as often you will need to tweak the contents of the drive to get it working. 

If you are completely stuck without a mac, you can use virtualisation software to run mac inside windows or linux.

Good luck!

Moin you Guys,

i got some experiences with Hackintosh but the install from scratch on my d630 (with x3100 ) i know ML doesn't work properly with this chip ....  , but i'll give this a try to get it working. Yesterday eve i've got a strange behavior of my D630 , i put ML on a Stick with myHack ... over the boot process no strange messages but when it comes to the install screen , the harddisk cannot be found ...... anyone who can give me a hint what to now ? o.k.i can install lion but i like to get this done with ML .....

Thanks in advance

Dornkaat

• Administrators

Well, to start with, there is no ML bootpack for the D630 GMA, so you have to make your own from the other ones. But it's perfectly do-able.

Now, I can't repeat this enough, there is really no point in installing ML on this D630. I've done it myself and I can confirm that it will boot Ok and well (I still have the installation on a HDD), but with default CPU-handled graphics since there are no kexts to load. The machine appears quite usable until graphics acceleration has to be called. At that point, it all becomes very painful: web browsing can be next to unusable, no video/graphics animation can be viewed (eg: flashplayer won't install) and you can get severe graphics disruption on screen with degraded system performance as the CPU can't handle the load. Even something as basic as moving the mouse over a window slider bar causes artefacts...

So, again, there's absolutely no point in wasting time installing ML on the D630 GMA. It's nearly as unusable as Win XP on a Pentium 233Mhz with 64Mo EDO RAM)...

Hey guys, this is my first post.

I just skimmed and searched through all pages of this forum and did some other searches and can't find specific info.

I've got a D630, installed ML 10.8 following this guide without any issues, chameleon bootloader tri-booting WinXP , Win764 , and ML10.8.

One thing I've noticed is the graphics seem sluggish and the dock doesn't appear to be transparent like it did in SL.

I've got the NV Quadro 135 detecting as 8400 ... can anybody guide me to getting HW accel or testing if its working? .... Or is this one of the things I need to stick with Lion to get working? ... 

I had read in one post using a 10.7 kext would get "some" acceleration working but I didn't see where to get the kext nor any tutorials on this.

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

If your top menu bar is translucid, you have graphics acceleration as expected. Try a green/purple desktop background to verify this, it'll be more visible than with a blue or grey background. The DSDT installed after EDP has been run does indeed change reported graphics card to 8400GS. If you re-instate the DSDT from the boot pack, you'll get NVS 135m reported back. It's one of those little things we have to fix in EDP, but it's trivial as only cosmetic.

Now, ML does run a bit slower than Lion and quite slower than Snow Leopard on these machines. That's just how it goes, ML is much more demanding on resources. I'd say the minimum should be a T7500 with best performance with a T8xxx or T9300/T9500.

DDR2-800 also helps.

The Dock in SL was not transparent but acting like a mirror showing reflection of icons and windows/desktop background above it. That effect has been modified under ML, where it'll reflects icons a tad dimmer and windows above it only create a vague hint of a shadow. That's just OS X evolution...

• Like 1

Ok good to know, I noticed it lags a bit when minimizing/expanding windows .... By looking at the top bar I can see that transparencies are working.  I'm running with a T7800 2.6Ghz and DDR2-400.

I have a bit more reading up to do on running EDP as it didn't seem to reboot (goes back to the logon screen after sitting at a grey screen with mouse cursor for a while).  This is after I updated to 10.8.2 and during the install so haven't really tested it very much.  I'm using it today as my daily when I usually use Win7... so far so good ... 

I disabled Bluetooth prompting for a keyboard/mouse in sys prefs and that stopped the nag about keyboard/mouse .. otherwise, great tutorial and support here! thanks for the response, I'm looking forward to hackintoshing.

FYI - for anyone questioning doing the upgrade to 10.8.2, just run it as is and then re-install EDP and I080211Family.kext to get wifi going again ... It'll say it fails after the update but it completes just fine.