EDP is still indicated in ML guide for D620

EVH

Got across this guide here at OSXLatitude to install ML with MLPF and on step #11 and #12 refers to "EDP" and "EDP 5" respectively. A search for EDP on the site reached a page with an obituary for EDP and a link to github where the reader is supposed to find some remnants of EDP still available for download.

I'm I missing a more recent guide to install ML on my D620?

Thanks in advance for advice on how to proceed

• Administrators

Hey EVH,

EDP has reached its "end of life" cycle some while ago.

You can use clover (so far tested till 5070) with only config.plist mainly for MBP5.1 smbios injection, DSDT.aml from old EDP and minimum 10.7 32 bit kext to boot the install and main system.

I just last week put back mac os lion life on my old dead D520 but with more modern bootloader LOL

Regards.

• Administrators

This guide is over 8 years old and is obsolete as far as EDP is concerned. Other than removing the deprecated references to EDP tool, I'm not going to revisit those old ML with MLPF guides in 2021 given the obvious obsolescence of the D Series and Mountain Lion. You'd also find it difficult to get your hands on the old MLPF tool these days.

Anyway, if you do, you may still follow the guide but just forget about the EDP part. Complete Chameleon/Enoch bootpacks are included in the MLPF guides. I had mentioned this in the ML/MLPF guide for the D430 but must have forgotten to do the same for the other guides:

MLPF_full_packs.jpg

There are no other guides on this site to install unsupported ML on D Series laptops that I know of.

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies. Obsolescence is in the eye of the beholder. You can install Logic Pro X on these obsolete D620's, hook them up to a $20 MIDI keyboard from a garage sale and all of the sudden you can play a collection of Synthesizers, drums, orchestral instruments, you name it. Not sure about the best way to skip the EDP portion of the guide as it was suggested above, I try to follow instructions to a T as my knowledge is limited. I imagine I could create a new guide if I succeed with installing ML on this laptop.

I believe there's no need for these systems to further pollute landfills when there's quite years of use ahead of them for quite some applications but that's just my personal take, I respect other's points of view. Is opencore an option for a non UEFI computer? What would be the next stop in order to get these D620s going? I have several of them.

Regards

• Administrators

Hey EVH,

I would suggest to use Clover. Im also assuming that it is the intel version?

Install Clover (find 5108) with options on "Install Clover in ESP",  "Boot Sector - Install bootaf in MBR" and "Clover for BIOS Booting - SATA".

Then replace the EFI folder with one attached. It has minimum kext to get things up and running.

Reboot and select the installer or hard disk to boot. I tested this with Mac OS Lion 10.7.

Regards.

EFI.zip

12 hours ago, Syonagar said:

I would suggest to use Clover. Im also assuming that it is the intel version?

Thanks so much for the reply and the suggestions bud!

I confess I didn't get to even learn what was the role of EDP on that guide. I went back to it and noted the steps and references to EDP were deleted!!! I'm not sure if there were replacement steps nor have a clue about these steps to have been related to the bootloading, but I assume they were judging by the replies. I noticed also a mention in the edited guide of Chameleon right where the EDP steps were at. My units are all Nvdia. I am wondering if opencore could be a way to go, not that I know anything about it really, but just out of plain curiosity to see if any of you have experience with it.

Once again thank you for the input and I think I'll put a video together at some point to showcase the experience of making music with these "obsolete" hardware/software solutions. I doubt it'll be this month though, my plate is full.

Talk soon! We'll keep an eye on these topic for sure

• Administrators

As stated in my previous reply:

1. EDP was OSXLatitude's own post-install tuning tool. It had nothing to do with bootloading.
  2. After its demise back in 2014/2015, fully tuned bootpacks were provided as replacement.
  3. References to EDP have now been removed from all those ML with MLPF guides for the old D Series