Gateway MD7818u

jdc6799

I am a newbie. I have a spare gateway md7818u laptop that i would love to install osx lion on. I have done some research and think it is possible, but I am not sure how. Is there a step by step tutorial for the install? The machine currently has vista installed. My end goal is to have a dual boot for osx and windows. Please help!!

The machine has an intel core 2 duo, 4gb of ram, and a 50gb harddrive.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graphics card- Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Sound card- Intel ® High Definition Audio (HDMI)

WiFI card- Intel ® Wireless WiFi Link 5100

Correction from previous post - 500gb hd

Also, I do not have access to a Mac. All the tutorials I have seen require a Mac.

Well.. I could not get the program you specified to work. Hopefully, this is not a sign of things to come. I downloaded a different system info program and ran that. Here are the results:

Summary

Operating System

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

CPU

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz 49 °C

Penryn 45nm Technology

RAM

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard

Gateway 46 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives

466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-75ZAT0 ATA Device (SATA) 41 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50F ATA Device

Audio

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

Thanks for the good news!! :)

Cake with out icing is still cake. :D

I would like to install OSX on this machine, if it will be stable. BTW- it does not have to be Lion. Whatever OSX version is best for the machine is ok. How do I install?

Thanks again for the help!!

First of all, you might have to do some heavy DSDT editing, second of all you deffently need to dump lspci - with that you have little idea of hw addresses etc.

But its all here.. so try it out: http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/pre-installation/

I have completed the myHack steps for creating the USB installer (1-2), should I continue to step 3 listed at (http:myHack.sojugarden.com/guide/) or should I add the boot pack from the osxlatitude site. If I need the boot pack, how do I know which one the website does not have any Gateway machines listed. Additionally, if I need a custom boot pack how do I make it?

Thanks for the help