D420 - HDD Password = no boot

balchy

Hi all

Had decided to re-install SL on my D420 (duo) - first time using the myHack app - excellent!

I removed the bios (system) password during install, just for convenience.

Once installed and EDP set up, and after a number of successful reboots, I move to enabling sleep. However, I incorrectly set an HDD password, not the system one.

Now my system does not boot up.

If I run boot using -v I get

rooting via boot-uuid from chosen: [long sequence of characters]

From path: "uuid", Waiting on [blah]

"still waiting for root device"

I assume because setting an HDD password somehow changes the way the HDD appears to the boot loader.

Obviously I can reinstall, but I wondered if there is a way to configure it to use the "new" HDD?

Thanks for any help.

I can take a photo of the screen if the text is relevant.

I was thinking if I can determine the correct device ID I can tell this to the bootloader.. ?

Is that a HDD password in the BIOS? Might be a stupid question - but removing the HDD password in the BIOS does not rectify the situation?

Ha! Good questions.

Yes - HDD password in the BIOS. Tried removing it, and still no boot. It's my guess that the password caused it; I noticed I got a "please wait" when I set the password for the first time, making me suspect something is written to disk.

set bios to defaults and save then reboot and readd your tweaks

Hi - thanks, I should have tried that already - however, it did not work.

Obviously, I can re-install.

I was just hoping there was some kind of way I could change the "ID" of the disk the bootloader is looking for. I see this is possible in the help that comes up in the bootloader, but I don't know how to determine if that's the fault or how to change.

Dear balchy,

You can set the uuid of new partition to boot by reinstalling chameleon.

Cheers!

Thanks - that makes sense. Any pointers for how this can be done with a non-booting system (USB key, alternative OS)? I did a quick google, but was only able to find directions once in OSX.

incidentally, I have managed to suffer from this problem without any BIOS changes ... but I can't reproduce it easily - I have just updated my mainboard to a D430 and am waiting on correct memory so I can install OSX Lion. I have reverted to the old process, so wrote my SL DVD to a USB key, installed, then installed Chameleon + EDP 1.9.2

Thanks - that makes sense. Any pointers for how this can be done with a non-booting system (USB key, alternative OS)? I did a quick google, but was only able to find directions once in OSX.

OK, thought about this a bit more - obvious: run Chameleon from USB key I made for the install, F8, select the OSX partition on my HDD. Once in OSX, install chameleon onto the HDD partition again.