Mountain Lion - Dell Latitude E6420 Intel HD3000

Alejandro

• Moderators

Yes, I have an iMac. I can get the disk from the laptop and attached through USB to the iMac.

Let me know what do you want me to do..

Thanks again

Regards

Alejandro,

I'm unclear as to what method you build your OSX. You mentioned unifail and myHack. If you're using the former, then you'll need a kextwizard to install my attached files. If you're using myHack, just replace Extra with mine (backup yours first) and then run myHack from Application folder. 

:excl: Note: Make sure to select your HDD and not the iMac as the destination!

Extra-Alejandro.zip

Alejandro,

I'm unclear as to what method you build your OSX. You mentioned unifail and myHack. If you're using the former, then you'll need a kextwizard to install my attached files. If you're using myHack, just replace Extra with mine (backup yours first) and then run myHack from Application folder. 

:excl: Note: Make sure to select your HDD and not the iMac as the destination!

attachicon.gifExtra-Alejandro.zip

Hi Jake Lo, I used the unifail to build my OSX. I never got the my hack to work, which I think it's better.

I'm going to try the kextwizard and let you know. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Regards

Bad news...

It still not working, I run the kextwizard, install the kext that you gave me and also I check the Repair Permission, Rebuild Cache, Rebuild mkext for Extra and System/Library/Extensions.

I'm actually open to install again, but using Myhack. I tried but MyHack is not even booting. What could it be?

Any idea.

Thanks again

Regards

post-5970-0-10529200-1381954117_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Bad news...

It still not working, I run the kextwizard, install the kext that you gave me and also I check the Repair Permission, Rebuild Cache, Rebuild mkext for Extra and System/Library/Extensions.

I'm actually open to install again, but using Myhack. I tried but MyHack is not even booting. What could it be?

Any idea.

Thanks again

Regards

Replace my boot pack on your myhack USB Installer, run myfix to update cache and permission. Boot with -v -f, this will get you through to start the build.

By the way, have you update your BIOS yet? This has been tested on the latest A19.

Replace my boot pack on your myhack USB Installer, run myfix to update cache and permission. Boot with -v -f, this will get you through to start the build.

By the way, have you update your BIOS yet? This has been tested on the latest A19.

I haven't update the BIOS, I'm going to do it first and then try myHack again.

I will let you know.

Regards

Finally Good news.

First I upgrade the firmware, this solve the problem to boot using the myHack Usb Drive. I didn't work at first time because I got a KP with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but I read one of your post Jake Lo and deleted the kext and put the NullCPUPowerManagement. With this I was able to run the installer. I tried to to fix my previous installation using myFix but as I expected, I didn't work. So I proceed to install a new fresh installation.

The installation process works. I'm going to test what is working and what is not working and let you know.

Thank you very much for help.

And If you need some help testing for the Maverick please let me know.

Regards

• Moderators

Finally Good news.

First I upgrade the firmware, this solve the problem to boot using the myHack Usb Drive. I didn't work at first time because I got a KP with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but I read one of your post Jake Lo and deleted the kext and put the NullCPUPowerManagement. With this I was able to run the installer. I tried to to fix my previous installation using myFix but as I expected, I didn't work. So I proceed to install a new fresh installation.

The installation process works. I'm going to test what is working and what is not working and let you know.

Thank you very much for help.

And If you need some help testing for the Maverick please let me know.

Regards

You should have these working:

Audio - patched AppleHDA by telanx and Mirone

HDMI Audio

VGA - patched by telanx

Sleep

QE/CI

Lan

Bootpack will work on Mavericks as well, as that's what I'm using currently.

You should have these working:

Audio - patched AppleHDA by telanx and Mirone

HDMI Audio

VGA - patched by telanx

Sleep

QE/CI

Lan

Bootpack will work on Mavericks as well, as that's what I'm using currently.

Everything seem to be working as expected. One question. Did you made the touchpad works as a multitouch using https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/ ?

Another question. Did you use SpeedStep? If you do and the performance improves, can you tell me how you do it? I read the http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/ but I'm not to sure how to do it.

And, does anybody knows how to do a dual boot if I want to install Elementary OS for example?

UPDATE: It was easy, during the installation process when elementary ask me the partition table, instead of set /dev/sda to install grup, I put the partition where elementary is going to be installed /dev/sda3 (for example). Then Chamaleon recognized the linux installation and know I have the option to boot Mac OSX or Elementary OS.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Regards

• Moderators

Everything seem to be working as expected. One question. Did you made the touchpad works as a multitouch using https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/ ?

Another question. Did you use SpeedStep? If you do and the performance improves, can you tell me how you do it? I read the http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/ but I'm not to sure how to do it.

And, does anybody knows how to do a dual boot if I want to install Elementary OS for example?

UPDATE: It was easy, during the installation process when elementary ask me the partition table, instead of set /dev/sda to install grup, I put the partition where elementary is going to be installed /dev/sda3 (for example). Then Chamaleon recognized the linux installation and know I have the option to boot Mac OSX or Elementary OS.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Regards

Good, hope you didn't lose any data along the way.

I have tested the touchpad kext, I'm currently using the rehanMerge version which is the same as bpedman's version 7.

My findings are listed on this post which is pretty much the same issue everyone else is experiencing. I went back to my old ps2 controller which is in my boot pack because I use the trackstick more than the touchpad. I like the nub + middle mouse for scrolling with the help of smart scroll. 

I haven't been really tweaking as much as getting OSX to boot in my various Dell E-series models. Will give it a go when I have more time to test.

Good, hope you didn't lose any data along the way.

I have tested the touchpad kext, I'm currently using the rehanMerge version which is the same as bpedman's version 7.

My findings are listed on this post which is pretty much the same issue everyone else is experiencing. I went back to my old ps2 controller which is in my boot pack because I use the trackstick more than the touchpad. I like the nub + middle mouse for scrolling with the help of smart scroll. 

I haven't been really tweaking as much as getting OSX to boot in my various Dell E-series models. Will give it a go when I have more time to test.

Ok, thank you so much for your help.

I would probably going to update to mavericks next week after the release.

And for everybody else, if you have any question please take a look at this post and also the E6420 Research Thread https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1109-e6420-research-thread/page-5

There is a lot of information and people ready to help.

Also please find attach the last EXTRA folder that I used. It's the same that Jake Lo send me, but I changed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement for NullCPUPowerManagement kext. And remember, this is for the E6420 with the Intel Graphic Card HD3000.

And remember, upgrade your BIOS, this solve almost all of my problems. To upgrade your bios you dont need windows installed. Check this article: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

I tried freedos with UNETBootIN but It didn't work, so if you find a way to create an msdos usb boot on mac or linux, let me know. At the end I used my wife computer to create the usb. Sad, I know.. jejeje

I think with all the work made by jake Lo and a lot of other people, OSXLatitude can add this model E6420 to the compatibility sheet. :P

Regards

Alejandro

PS: See you in a week for the Maverick upgrade.

ExtraE6420HD3000.zip