Dell Optiplex 790: how to enable OpenCore?

everton oliveira

hi guys,

could you please tell me if is possible enable OpenCore boot on dell optplex 790 series?

I already using Mac OS Mojave and I'm able to install Mac OS Catalina, but when I tried to install Mac OS Big Sur using clover I got an error message.

i'm trying to install Big Sur and I used other computer to install the system, but clover are not able to boot the system, the big sur partition are not shown on the clover menu.

my config 

intel i5 2400 3,10ghz up to 3,40 ghz

16gb ram 

ssd 480gb kingston

Nvidia gt 710 1gb

hello,

clover version 5139, do I used this site to upload my efi.

https://filebin.net/nzajpjhpci3105wf 

the error that I got was, An Error Occurred While Preparing the Installation just last 12 minutos of the end installation, in this step I'm stuck using clover.

I tried to do it via update but after restating I got the error in update.

I tried to change the date via terminal, via bios, but I got the same error An Error Occurred While Preparing the Installation

because of that I'd to try the OpenCore, but in this machine I need to set OpenCore in legacy mode.

• Administrators

I run Big Sur with OpenCore on my old C2D Vostro200 which is limited to legacy BIOS mode. You may refer to my Big Sur guide for reference on the OpenCore setup for desktop in legacy mode.

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11148-dell-vostro-200-st-with-c2d-e8600xeon-x5270-geforce-gt730gt1030-high-sierramojavecatalinabig-sur/?do=findComment&comment=106757

This being said, the Optiplex 790's documentation clearly indicates UEFI BIOS mode is available so you should use that for both Clover and OpenCore. See p56 of the Optiplex 790's owner manual. This, unless you cannot boot a USB installer key in UEFI mode, something I experienced on Sandy Bridge Latitude E6220 laptop.

• Administrators

Looks like your USB installer is not bootable. Was the key formatted HFS, APFS or FAT32. How did you install Clover, with what selected options/settings?

Edit: with regards to formatting the EFI partition FAT32, the Clover instructions have always worked for me:

Clover_EFI_FAT32.jpg

1 hour ago, Jake Lo said:

I read a few forums that suggest formatting the EFI partition to fat32 from Windows and not from MacOS, then copy the EFI folder over.

I read that too but without success, i used "mini partition tools" in windows 10 to do it.

in this case, is prefer do all the efi process in windows to work or using mac os i can do it correctly to?

in tried in both rs

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Looks like your USB installer is not bootable. Was the key formatted HFS, APFS or FAT32. How did you install Clover, with what selected options/settings?

Edit: with regards to formatting the EFI partition FAT32, the Clover instructions have always worked for me:

Clover_EFI_FAT32.jpg

I'll check that.

what clover version is good to install big sur ? 

i'm using 5139 but i'm able to see you using 5133