D430 - Snow Leo installed OK - no Firewire?

moonman

Just wanted to ask re. Firewire on the D430 with Snow Leopard. The 10.6 install went perfectly and I have since updated to 10.6.3. Firewire is listed under System Profiler, but an external bus-powered portable hard disk does not get any power from the D430. Is the problem re. bus-powered devices? Or is Firewire not working at all? Thanks for any help.

Good question, i have a D430 myself, an i see firewire detected, but dont have anything to test with... :unsure:

Yes, it's unfortunate, as I have several FW devices that I'd like to be able to use. I'll try to connect an external drive with AC power and see if the problem was that the bus wasn't providing enough power.

Googling brought up info at insanelymac that Firewire does work for the D430, but the poster had 10.5 installed, not 10.6.

Pretty happy with the 10.6 install, which went smoothly and now runs really well. I still have to do some testing (sleep, battery), but I'm really impressed. One bonus was that the guy I bought it off on eBay said the wifi card was the original one. I was planning to install a Dell 1390, but on my first reboot the Airport icon showed full signal and I was connected! Don't know which card is installed, but it works great right out of the box.