Latitude 7490: TouchPad close to fully working with new I2C Alps kext

Jazzoo

On 2/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, Jazzoo said:

I tried Mojave and Catalina on my 7490 and the buttons didn't work for me. It's working only Big Sur or newer. Maybe @juico , @blankmac can help to solve this OS compatibility problem.

Yes ive heard of some of these issues on older versions of MacOS. I was not quite sure how many people were still using these versions but if you need to run 32bit apps it makes sense. At the moment i only have a install of Big Sur on my laptop which has the Alps T4 touchpad and not the U1 so it is a bit hard to debug for compatibility. If i have some spare time i will try to install an older version of macOS and see if can replicate some of the issues.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:05 AM, bisk said:

Huh, ok thanks for that. I will be probably updating in the next few days.

Interestingly enough, I get good, normal trackpad button response by rolling back to the previous AlpsT4USB.kext v1.5.

Left button works perfectly w/o the need to be in contact with the trackpad and right button is usually ok too but not 100%.

Maybe this kext is not so popular because of limited gestures ? I dunno, and don't care as all that I really use is 2 finger scrolling.

I'll go back to the AlpsHID.kext if trackpad button functionality returns with Big Sur and/or AlpsT4USB.kext stops functioning.

But, otherwise, dead trackpad buttons is a real deal killer for me so I'll keep cruising with the older version.

Not quite sure why the touchpad doesnt work using AlpsHID and does work using AlpsT4USB as the AlpsHID should be a more updated version of the AlpsT4USB. Which version of the voodooI2CHID have you tried? Do you perhaps have a IOReg file when using alpsHID?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 4:36 AM, juico said:

Yes ive heard of some of these issues on older versions of MacOS. I was not quite sure how many people were still using these versions but if you need to run 32bit apps it makes sense. At the moment i only have a install of Big Sur on my laptop which has the Alps T4 touchpad and not the U1 so it is a bit hard to debug for compatibility. If i have some spare time i will try to install an older version of macOS and see if can replicate some of the issues.

Not quite sure why the touchpad doesnt work using AlpsHID and does work using AlpsT4USB as the AlpsHID should be a more updated version of the AlpsT4USB. Which version of the voodooI2CHID have you tried? Do you perhaps have a IOReg file when using alpsHID?

Sorry, haven't been around for a little bit. OK, as soon as I upgraded to Big Sur and then a little later on, Monterey, AlpsHID is the way to go as the buttons resumed full functionality and the tracking is smoother than AlpsT4USB. But the buttons were definitely non-functional under Catalina on my E7280 unless my finger was in contact with the trackpad using the newer AlpHID. I am using voodooI2CHID v1.0 in all cases. I didn't know of a newer version.

I am no longer running Catalina on this E7280 but I do save state info from each of my installs. Enclosed below is both the text and graphical versions of the oreg info from my Catalina-E7280. Hope that it helps :) Thanks for your hard work !

Dell_Lat7280-10.15.7.zip