[Solved] Looking for help with Intel WiFi card (Catalina)

1rocketdude

Using a rather old Clover 5119 bootloader and fresh install of Catalina, this Latitude simply worked from the start, except the Intel WiFi. 

I've built many desktop Hackintoshes, so I thought this laptop would be easy, but I can't configure things right to get the WiFi working.

Using itlwm.kext v2.0, I can get a loaded kext by placing the kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, but Heliport cannot "turn on" the Wifi, so it won't recognize any networks.

Using AirportItlwm.kext v2.0, the kext won't load (according to kextstat), so again no wifi access.

I don't understand some comments that I've seen on previous posts about making adjustments to the config.plist file, but I don't understand how itlwm.kext or AirportItlwm.kext are "configured" there.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay with Catalina, but if upgrading to Big-Sur is the solution that makes this problem go away, I can do that too.

thanks much friends...

• Administrators

Check that your Intel wifi card falls into the compatible category (you've not even specified the model), then follow the guidance at OpenIntelWireless.

Seems you're confusing OpenCore and Clover. Former requires to declare add-on kexts in the config and in an appropriate order (PlugIns after Master) but no such requirements with latter.

Sorry about the omission. Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7265

I admit to being naive about the difference between OpenCore and Clover. I've used Clover for many years to good effect, never seeing the need to use OpenCore. Since I have a functioning Latitude, I'm thinking to leave the boot part alone.

I can't seem to discover in the system logs why itlwm.kext is loaded but will not allow "power on" or AirportItlwm.kext will not load as a kext when I try. I understand Catalina's version of both should work.

thanks for your help

Oh my God I'm a knucklehead. How many years have I been building computers and the BIOS wasn't enabled? I blame an overly complex BIOS setup. 87 options and the "default" was off.

itlwm.kext + heliport works well.

AirportItlwm.kext does not work.

some other tweaking to do, but thank you for waking me up.