Dell Latitude E6520 Mountain Lion

Igashu

I had pretty much given up, but I had an itch to start trying again-- even though I am subscribed to this post I never received a notification of a reply. Damn. 

Thanks for the post-I will try this weekend.

I had issues previously trying to run MyHack with the 10.8.2 installer- always got  a disk error when I tried to boot. Hopefully I'll have better luck and clarity now that I've been removed for awhile.

I'll let ya know how it goes- cheers!

I am unable to boot off the USB. I am getting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement timed out error.

I'll keep googling for a solution, any advice would be awesome.

Boot freezes right after the IOBluetoothHCIController loads. I've tried GraphicsEnabler=No with no luck.

It is probably not the Bluetooth controller, most likely fails on something a bit further up and just doesn't hang until then.  What system/specs/hardware do you have?  Are you booting from a myHack USB?

Try booting with nv_disable=1 and see if that helps.

I have asked this in the "other" 6520 thread but I have to ask here as well since you are using the same hardware as I am.  

What port do you put your "key drive" in and what if any boot switches do you use?

Installs for 6520s would probably be easier if we had a generic guide and within that guide had specifics for each unit where applicable.  Between the two threads it is very confusing what to do to complete a successful 6520 install.

I have 10.7.5 running on my 6520 but I can't honestly remember exactly how I got there.  I do remember using EDP pack from a comparable unit.  I do have minor annoyances like no joypad or trackpad, but short of that everything else works. (I did buy an airport card and have that installed in the short card slot.  Even though its twice the size of the slot.)

Im all for spearheading the installer guide composition since Im trying to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion.  But I will need specific information to complete said same.

I have asked this in the "other" 6520 thread but I have to ask here as well since you are using the same hardware as I am.  

What port do you put your "key drive" in and what if any boot switches do you use?

Installs for 6520s would probably be easier if we had a generic guide and within that guide had specifics for each unit where applicable.  Between the two threads it is very confusing what to do to complete a successful 6520 install.

I have 10.7.5 running on my 6520 but I can't honestly remember exactly how I got there.  I do remember using EDP pack from a comparable unit.  I do have minor annoyances like no joypad or trackpad, but short of that everything else works. (I did buy an airport card and have that installed in the short card slot.  Even though its twice the size of the slot.)

Im all for spearheading the installer guide composition since Im trying to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion.  But I will need specific information to complete said same.

So, my recommendation would be to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup image of your existing 10.7.5 drive in case things go horribly awry, and then follow my instructions in post #10 above for creating and using a myHack USB installer.  There's no need to 'upgrade' OSX - for the most part you can literally just do a full, fresh install right on top of your existing one, and all of your user files and data etc will just continue to work as they did before.  If for some reason you did want to do a reformat/reinstall from scratch, you can always use Migration Assistant after the fact to re-import your user accounts and data from your backup drive.

EDIT: To specifically answer your question, any USB port will work, although I *have* noticed that if I have multiple USB devices plugged in at boot time on the E6520, sometimes it will only see one of them.  When I'm trying to boot from the myHack USB drive, I unplug my USB external.  No special boot switches should need to be used to get into the installer.

I agree that between all the threads, there is a lot of confusion on how to get to a working state.  I created this thread to try to make a single, straightforward source of information for E6520 (and honestly, probably E6510 too) owners.  There's also an awful lot of misinformation and conjecture out there (not just on this forum but on other popular shall-remain-unnamed ones) concerning the various flavors of voodoo people believe has suddenly made their hackintosh work.  More often than not, people have run many tools and installers essentially "throwing things at the wall until something sticks" and don't really even know what path they've taken to get there or what additional files may be in their System/Libraries/Extensions that are making things work properly.  (Without intending to offend you, your own claim of "can't honestly remember how I got there" is a perfect illustration of that fact.)

This is all a lengthy lead-up to me saying that I've tested this E6520 extra on a fresh install of 10.8.2 with zero modifications.  If you have the same hardware and follow the process, it should and will work for you too.

Sure. There is a full guide over at their website (http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/) but the basic steps go a little something like this:

• Create a folder on the USB drive and copy over the contents of my Extras zip (extracted, not as a zip file!)
  • When you boot from the USB drive, it'll lead you through the install process much like the normal OS X installer, but will give you some options near the end to install a default Extra or select your own - select the folder you put my files into and it will install them automatically.
  • ???

I have followed both the guide quoted above and your guide.  Please clarify the above parts of your guide so I can try to replicate your expereince exactly. 

1.  Specifically what did you name thte folder? Extras or some other name that would not conflict with Extras normally on a hackintosh install stick.
  2. Is this part of the install or while using myhack to create the install drive? I've never seen this in any of my attempted (maybe 200 plus) installs.  I do this/these a lot because I break them alot!! D0H!!!!
  3. ??? we know this really means success! ;-)

I am pleased to hear that I dont have to wipe my 10.7.5 install.  :)  I hate reinstalling everyting after a clean install.  :unsure:

I will take that tack once I get to the Install Screen.  My biggest problem is I keep getting to the enumeration of the Root ID and then the system continues to "scan" for the proper root device and never makes it past that point.  So I have yet to make it to the actual "install screen of OSX". 

That was why I was asking which USB port you were booting from and if you used any boot switches.

Igashu Thanks very much for trying to make all of our lives easier.  And Thanks You again for your assistance to me.

Regarding your questions:

1. You can name it anything you want (preferably something OTHER than Extra -- when I create a myHack stick, I tend to create a folder on the root of the volume called "My Extras" and then inside that keep a directory with an appropriate folder for each of my machines (e.g. "Extra - Sabertooth P67", "Extra - E6520", etc...), which leads to point number two...
  2. Placing the folder on the stick is just something you can do manually by copying it.  After you've booted to the stick, and toward the end of the OSX install via myHack, it will prompt you to choose whether you want to use its default Extra folder (which is designed to load very little, and only load common things that will boot on most machines) or specify your own.  If you choose to specify your own, it'll let you browse the filesystem and pick the one you set up, which is why it doesn't matter where you put it or what you call it, as long as it's there.  It will copy it over to your hard drive (or in your case, your 512gb OCZ Vertex 4 - nice!) so that it can boot the system with this DSDT and kexts.
  3. Yep!