Dell Latitude E6520 Mountain Lion

Igashu

OK this may not be the best place to ask, but its relevant to my 6520.

I found that I can boot and install with a DVD (Did this via another installer, but wont mention name here, but system wont successfully boot even in safe mode).  So what is the best way to make a bootable DVD of my 6520 Myhack installer?  I've susseccfully made 5 coasters so far.  Really would like to stop wasting DL DVDs.  :blink:

Any suggestions?

Edit:  Hold da bus!!!!  I went back and read the whole thread (Glad it was only 2 pages  :P  :) ) And I saw that I had stated I would try to reinstall without the AirPort NIC.  Soooooooo......  I took it out and tried it (Also removed DVD drive just incase it was hogging the USB Bus) and guess what appeared?  THE INSTALLER SCREEN!!  W00t W00t!    :wub:  :rolleyes:

I did put the DVD drive back in, no impact. I also had to use "GraphicsEnabler=No" switch to get there, as the first preinstall boot stopped at the NVidia card initialization messages.  

But Im now using myhack and installing 10.8.  I hope this one works since I made it using OSXLatitudes instructions and it's configured for my sweet 'lil 6520.

Igashu I WILL be using your extras instead of OSXlatitudes because I think you got it going on!!!  But I love this site for being so supportive of specific hardware!

Edit 2: New question(s) to Igashu; do you use the Install_EDP.dmg from here or not once the install is complete?  

I read through first post again (really needed lots of coffee this A.M.) and saw that you don't use it or you wouldn't have made the "roll it into EDP" comment.  I did an "upgrade install" and it didn't want to boot.  So I put my original Atheros NIC back in and the systems boots to the installer, with no switches, without issues, go figure.  Did a drive wipe and am now doing a clean install to see how it goes.  I figure if my 6520 was down for 2 months I probably won't miss what ever was on it it.  I have my bookmarks from my IHackintosh so Im good.   :unsure:  More later!

Edit 3:  B00YAHHHHH!!!!!

ScreenShot2013-04-15at54011AM_zps3870b90

ScreenShot2013-04-15at54127AM_zps6a13c58

New question.  What is the default NIC that came with your 6520?  

I think mine is/was a Broadcom, not sure about the model since Im trying to get wireless working now and its installed (or I think its the correct one).  I had to remove the full hight Airport NIC as it was killing my USB bus on 10.8.3?  :wacko:

This is sad, I thought it was ready, everything else seems to be working.  Just need to get wireless up and then I will test more stuff.

Edit:  I have since ordered these two NICs to see if either will work in my newly refreshed Haxb00k (E6520)

450M Apple AirPort Extreme Atheros AR5BXB112 AR9380 N card NOT AR5BXB92 AR5BXB72

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190743953105?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

DELL DW 1510 AGN Half bcm4322 dual-band N pci-e card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180633978471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also ordered a second drive bay adapter that replaced the DVD drive.  Found it for a great price from a supplier in New York with free shipping.  Can't wait to try it out!!! Only $8.82 shipped!!

for Universal Apple Macbook Pro Optical bay 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy SATA 9.5mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300725955979?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

<Lots of questions and answers and joy>

Hi daspazz et al, sorry I've been AWOL for awhile, and I'm glad you managed to figure out some of your issues!  The default NIC that came with my E6520 was actually an Intel ABGN card of some sort - from everything I read there was basically no way to make it work, so I grabbed an Atheros for like $5 from Ebay and haven't looked back since.

One thing I will say is that I'm not sure that the edits in the most recent (r3) Extras were an improvement.  It may just be me, but I found that my graphics were not functioning properly with the new DSDT and kexts after going r2->r3, so I rolled back.   @iMick, if you have any time to help look at this again, would be nice to iron out some of these problems.  In the meantime, reposting r2 in case it helps anybody else.

Extra-Igashu-E6520-r2.tar.gz

Igashu, glad to hear from you again, so far mine is working great.  I just got my Airport Express card today (see link below) and installed.  It worked out of box, but then stopped.  I checked it by opening my 6520 back up and saw that the card was slightly jacked in the socket.  Its a full height card with 3 antenna leads, so I put a bit of packing tape on it to hold it securely in the socket.  Did that since I can't put a screw in it to secure it.  I did have to add some atheros kexts to make it work right after repot.  But its working like a champ, Im typing in this post from it now.  Im extremely happy because for the first time I can use the built in key board and track pad and "get 'er done"!!    :) As well as surf the interwebz!!

450M Apple AirPort Extreme Atheros AR5BXB112 AR9380 N card NOT AR5BXB92 AR5BXB72

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

I will be looking forward to eventually getting battery and shutdown working correctly.  At this point I have to pull the battery when not in use or it totally drains down.  Guess mac is doing nasty stuff in the back ground even when its "off".....   :ph34r:

Eventually I want to add an i7 quad in place of my i5.  Im a power abuser!!  :P   :rolleyes:

As an update I recently updated my 6520s BIOS to the most current release A17 and everything appears to be working perfectly.  I will be trying to test as much functionality as possible over the rest of the week!