E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

I think I've failed at replacing that file. No matter what I tried, the file stayed at 0 bytes. I think I'm missing some vital step of some sort. Even booting off USB it failed to copy.

It went something like:

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/username/Downloads/airportd

blah blah airportd 8500 bytes or whatever

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec/airportd

blah blah airportd 0 bytes

#cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/username/Downloads/airportd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec

#ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/libexec/airportd

blah blah airportd 0 bytes

Also: PS: Any time I've reinstalled and chose to format the drive, it hasn't written the boot sector, so I end up booting up to the "boot0: error" error, which I need to dd the boot1h file to the drive to fix.

Yes, that seems to be my bad. It should be about 300KB, not 0. Looks like MacDrive has failed me this time!

Anyway, I've re-uploaded the file to my original post.

As for your "boot0:error", what are you formatting the flash drive as (partition system and format)?

The flash drive is formatted as HFS+ journaled, and is only one partition (plus the hidden EFI partition).

It's no big deal, since I've found it's quite easy to use dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 to fix it, but it's nonetheless interesting that it happens each and every time.

Anyway, Success! I've upgraded to 10.8.4, copied the correct airportd to /usr/libexec and I'm happy to say everything's working.

Interestingly, I did not have to change any kexts at all. Going from 10.8 to 10.8.4 caused no issues whatsoever except the airportd problem. Oh, and the update said it failed at the end, right before restart, but it seems to have worked successfully.

Full specs: E6410, i7 model, NV3100M video, 8GB ram. Really old version of BIOS, like A05 or something.

Oh, PS: Do we know if speedstep is working correctly? sysctrl says "hw.cpufrequency = 2660000000", which is full speed. The laptop is also getting really warm for being idle. The fan seems to be on at all times, and it's blowing a fair amount of air despite being pretty quiet about it.

Need some more help.  I believe I'm past the monitor resolution issue.  Looks like I am at the max resolution on my monitor.  Although my previous OS supported larger resolutions with this monitor.

I'm having a minor issue switching my user icon.  It's not a big deal, but every time I try to change it (either in the Messages, Users & Groups, or Contacts apps) it crashes the app.  I tried looking through the Console app to see if I could decipher anything, but nothing stands out.  Anyone else having this same issue?  Luckily I like football, but I really don't want that as my user icon if I can help it.

Oh, PS: Do we know if speedstep is working correctly? sysctrl says "hw.cpufrequency = 2660000000", which is full speed. The laptop is also getting really warm for being idle. The fan seems to be on at all times, and it's blowing a fair amount of air despite being pretty quiet about it.

Speedstepping does not work on the E6410 using the methods I've tried when I first set it up (Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/Delete nullcpupowermanagement, and using kernel extensions from multifail).

And my fan doesn't run all the time, although like you, the  hw.cpufrequency, hw.cpufrequency_min and hw.cpufrequency_max are the same...

Also, when idle, the system seems to cool down after a while. Do you have the fan set to always run in the BIOS?

Need some more help.  I believe I'm past the monitor resolution issue.  Looks like I am at the max resolution on my monitor.  Although my previous OS supported larger resolutions with this monitor.

I'm having a minor issue switching my user icon.  It's not a big deal, but every time I try to change it (either in the Messages, Users & Groups, or Contacts apps) it crashes the app.  I tried looking through the Console app to see if I could decipher anything, but nothing stands out.  Anyone else having this same issue?  Luckily I like football, but I really don't want that as my user icon if I can help it.

Are there any error messages that pop up when the applications(s) crash(es)?

Hello!

I'm new here.  First, I wanted to thank you for this great guide.  I had some problems on my end - purely from lack of experience.  The guide itself is fantastic.

*** Attention People with 10.8.4 as a START POINT ***

Those of you who have purchased Mountain Lion off the store recently and only have 10.8.4 will have no problem with this guide if you pay attention to a few things:

1. Download the first file "E6410 ML.zip" no matter what.
  2. Download the "E6410 ML 10.8.4.zip" as well.
  3. Create the install ONLY with the E6410 ML.zip files.  DO NOT USE 10.8.4 Files to create the install or you will run into problems at the end of the actual install with "Installation Failed" messages and the three questions will never pop up at the end of the install.
  4. Copy both the folders you made for E6410 ML.zip and E6410 ML 10.8.4.zip to the USB at the end of the create USB process.
  5. DURING THE ACTUAL INSTALL PROCESS use the E6410 ML 10.8.4 files instead of the other ones when you do the any of the steps involving the E6410 ML.zip folder (do NOT use the files from E6410 ML) during the install process itself).
  6. Follow ALL of the steps in the guide and you will have no problems!

On my side I ended up with only two things (other than the noted issues of sleep, etc).

• I can't seem to get Ethernet to work even though it says its there.
  • I was one of the unlucky souls who had an Intel Centrino 6200n for my wifi half mini card.  I ordered a new card to replace it (Dell DW1510/Broadcomm BCM94322HM).  All my other specs, including the Nvidia graphics were as this guide stated.

I can see this little machine will be a decent Hackintosh right off the bat.  I've always felt it ran too hot (even before Hackintoshing it), as it was one of my work machines for a while.  Other than that, it is designed to be a workhorse and it will help me get my programming done in an Apple environment.

• Like 2

Hello coldsun1187, 

I am glad you got 10.8.4 working on your E6410. Thank you very much for the additional notes for other people! I will be sure to add them to the guide.

For the ethernet issue, have you tried removing and re-adding the ethernet service under System Preferences -> Network?

And yes, this machine is a great Hackintosh. A HacBook Pro most definitely! It's blazing fast, especially with an SSD. Also, mine ran quite hot once upon a time, but after I cleaned out the fan and applied some fresh thermal paste (thermal squares would work too), it ran much cooler and the fan runs at the lowest speed, unless I am doing any cpu/graphics-intensive work.

Thanks patel!

I've just finished testing your suggestion to remove the ethernet service and add it again.  Here are the results I've had:

• Once the service is added, I receive a "green light" indicator and an IP Address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx which is wrong as it is connected to my router here and should be something like 192.168.1.xxx.  Internet will not work at this point at all, even though the light is green and I have the above IP Address.
  • If I go to Advanced settings for Ethernet I try to renew the DHCP Lease and it eventually tells me the cable is unplugged and gives me no IP Address, although the cable is plugged in (and works fine on a desktop computer I have on the same desk).  The indicator light for Ethernet now turns red and the status message "Cable is Unplugged" or "Unknown State" continues to change.

I've also tried plugging it into another router connection with a different cable I know works and the same as above happens.  My guess is there might be an issue with Ethernet on this laptap of mine.  I never used it in this fashion, as I always used Windows and Wifi with it in the past.  I guess another detail I should add is I used the Kext for Broadcomm suggestion you had in the update notes of the guide for when my Broadcomm Wifi Half Mini arrives.  Perhaps that caused an issue?

Update:

I walked away for a few minutes and came back to the laptop.  Now the Network settings show Ethernet with a green light and a proper 192.168.1.xxx IP Address.  It says I'm connected to the internet but its so slow that pages don't load.  Still, it is progress.  I'm almost certain something is wrong with the Ethernet on this laptop.  Unless you have any other ideas or kext suggestions I'm just going to wait on my wifi card to arrive. :)

Update:

I walked away for a few minutes and came back to the laptop.  Now the Network settings show Ethernet with a green light and a proper 192.168.1.xxx IP Address.  It says I'm connected to the internet but its so slow that pages don't load.  Still, it is progress.  I'm almost certain something is wrong with the Ethernet on this laptop.  Unless you have any other ideas or kext suggestions I'm just going to wait on my wifi card to arrive. :)

Try the 10.8.4 wifi fix by replacing the airportd file with the one in the first post...

And no, the Broadcom kext shouldn't effect the ethernet speed/connection. I have the same kexts in the same configuration and my ethernet works fine.