E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Please help

I can't get the wifi going!

I have a Dell e6410, with Dell Wireless 5540 HSPA Mini Card

I tried os x 10.7.2, 10.8.4 and currently running 10.8.3, every thing seems to be working but the wifi

thank you

As far as I know, the DW 5540 doesn't work with OS X.

I believe you would need to get a DW1510/BCM4322

In addition to replacing any kexts mentioned in the latest Edit (see the first post), remove all the PS2 related kexts (like ApplePS2Controller.kext; I believe this is the only one, but you should double check anyway) from S/L/E.

As far as bluetooth goes, I don't have bluetooth module, however I believe alerphjuan did, and he was the one that got it working.

When you connect your monitor, in "System Preferences", if you select "Displays" and hold down the "Windows Key", does clicking "Detect Displays" find your monitor?

patel4prez is there any way you could post a guide on how to properly update to 10.8.4? everytime i try to update my machine does not boot or kernel panics

10.8.4 Update Guide (as requested by infamousdice :) ):

NOTE: This guide assumes you are on 10.8.3 and can boot successfully to a usable system.

1. Download the OS X Combo Update from Apple's Support page
  2. Download the AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts found below
  3. Extract the two kexts to the desktop
  4. Open up Kext Wizard and move to the "Installation" tab at the top
  5. Drag the two kexts to the white box, select "/System/Library/Extensions", and check off the box to backup replaced kexts
  6. DO NOT CLICK ON INSTALL YET!
  7. Now, navigate to the Combo Update & mount the image
  8. Install the Combo Update (could take anywhere from 20-50 minutes
  9. When the update finishes installing, it will ask you to restart. DO NOT RESTART!
  10. Bring up Kext Wizard again, and now click the Install button
  11. When it finishes installing, move over to the "Maintanence" tab up top
  12. Select /System/Library/Extensions, and Execute
  13. When finished with all that, reboot!

NOTE: If you have Intel graphics, please delete the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext & AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from /System/Library/Extensions BEFORE you reboot!

The only reason you would setup Kext Wizard first is to save time. I have noticed that after installing the Combo Update, the machine responds VERY slowly.

If the update makes you close all running applications (I don't remember if it did or not), then I guess you'll have to setup Kext Wizard after you finish installing. Also, please post your results on this if successful or not so I can update the guide  :)

followed the instructions you posted to the T and still no success :/ after the install finishes it says install failed but when i check in about this mac is said i was at 10.8.4. after i restart i get to the apple logo and the spping logo just keeps on spinning no errors or kernel panics when i boot in -v this is the error i get here is the picture of the -v log 

post-10638-0-19869600-1374039648_thumb.jpg

Those kexts should be the only ones you need to replace. I hung at the same place when booting in verbose mode after updating to 10.8.4, so maybe I uploaded the wrong kexts. I'll try re-uploading the kexts from my system asap.

• Moderators

followed the instructions you posted to the T and still no success :/ after the install finishes it says install failed but when i check in about this mac is said i was at 10.8.4. after i restart i get to the apple logo and the spping logo just keeps on spinning no errors or kernel panics when i boot in -v this is the error i get here is the picture of the -v log 

Try going in SLE and delete AppleIntelHDGraphics and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB if you see them. They usually get reinstall when you upgrade combo pack.

This isn't strictly hackintosh related, but here is how I disabled the nub mouse: http://imgur.com/a/GnUhN

I never use the nipple, and since the kext we're using for the ALPS touchpad makes the cursor jump every time it's touched, I wanted to disable it. Apparently in windows you normally use special dell software for disabling it, and there's no option in the BIOS either, so the only way is to disable it is to physically remove the hardware. Rather than cut wires, I figured tape is a better choice as it's removable in the future. You could also use nailpolish on those pins, then chip or sand the nailpolish off when you want to re-enable it.

Edit: I don't recommend anyone do this while the laptop is on. I only did it because I'm reckless and irresponsible. I take no responsibility for anything.

PS: The three copper pins to the right are for the backlight, in case you ever feel like completely disabling the keyboard's backlight for whatever reason, you can cover those pins as well.

many thanks for your reply, I wish I had asked the question earlier before I spend hours on re-installing the OSX, just to be on the safe side, would you be kind enough to check if this wifi card on ebay UK is the right one before i buy it?, ebay item number 290944990785

many thanks for your reply, I wish I had asked the question earlier before I spend hours on re-installing the OSX, just to be on the safe side, would you be kind enough to check if this wifi card on ebay UK is the right one before i buy it?, ebay item number 290944990785

Since I'm not sure if the card you found is a 1510 or a 1520 (the eBay listing doesn't say), I found this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170610456887) which should work just fine.