E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

many thanks for your reply, I wish I had asked the question earlier before I spend hours on re-installing the OSX, just to be on the safe side, would you be kind enough to check if this wifi card on ebay UK is the right one before i buy it?, ebay item number 290944990785

The card (in the above quote) you have indicated is a DW1520, which is unsupported by OSx.

Darvinko, if I'm not mistaken that's the same card other people are using. There are kexts available for it.

The options are pretty limited here, it needs to be a half-height card, since the antenna wires don't reach the full length slot. I don't think there are any actual airport cards that are half-height.

• Moderators

Darvinko, if I'm not mistaken that's the same card other people are using. There are kexts available for it.

The options are pretty limited here, it needs to be a half-height card, since the antenna wires don't reach the full length slot. I don't think there are any actual airport cards that are half-height.

The DW1510 is supported OOB, not the DW1520. I have both tested before. There's not known kext that will support DW1520 or it will ever be. It has a whole new chipset.

There are several cards that fit the bill. As Jake Lo has indicated the DW1510 works OOB and has the benefit of being able to be rebranded - that is, the software can be manipulated to be recognized by the system as Airport, making it unlikely they can phase it out. There is a how to for rebranding on the site, written by Leon. There are other Atheros cards that work and are half height. It's best to do it right initially so as the migration to new WiFi formats take place, your old hardware isn't left behind. Also, another tip if looking for a DW1510 on eBay (or other places) is search for PW934. It is the same card, just listed differently (and often cheaper).

EDIT: A quick Google of "DW1520 kext" indicates no success as of yet, despite a great deal of effort to get it working in OSx. 

First post, and first let me say thanks for this guide. I followed it to the letter and got a semi working hackingtosh. I used a 10.8.4 installer from the iTunes store as starting point. Then made the installer with the 10.8 zip file as mentioned in the guide for 10.8.4 starters. I'm having a few issues though. After the install I installed the Extra and S/L/E kexts with Kextwizard as per guide. I have a few strange issues:

- Wifi, I have a Dell DW1510 (BCM94322HM8L), it sees wifi networks but can not join any of them, it gives an error right after entering the password when its trying to connect. A small grey triangle with connection failed nothing more verbose. I'm getting a lot of errors related to several airport kexts on boot up too. The logs say no password was entered when connecting to a wifi, I did enter a password.

There's also a load of kexts that don't want to load due to unresolved dependencies and some are being refused. No bootcaches are made too, I even tried to manually create them and it still boots loading all extensions (kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m  /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions).

I've ran several full myfixes form the installer to no avail. Does someone know howto sort these extension troubles out?

Logs are here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nhF84NfC

Audio, wired networking, and most other stuff works fine. Just the wireless and those errors. Speedstep doesn't seem to work properly as well. Laptop runs twice as hot as under Linux or Windows. Seems the multipliers are not right; cpu running at higher frequencies than needed.

Hope anyone can  shine some light on my issues. I will update my post if solve some stuff myself. Hopefully this may help others.

Awesome, can't believe I missed that bit in there! Thank you for pointing it out. Replaced airportd and wifi worked instantly! Lovely. The kext errors don't really seem to break anything as far I can tell, just noticed them when troubleshooting my wifi foes. As for the CPU, I've seen in other places AppleIntelCPU kext should display turboboost speed and some other details on load. I\ll try disabling it for now in the bios and see if that lowers the temps. My fan is on all the time at low rpm, under other OSs the fan doesn't kick in until the GPU reaches 70c or CPU reaches 80c, most of the time the fan is completely off. Maybe this has more todo with dsdt than the power management...

I've also added the new trackpad kexts and removed all the old ps2 stuff laying about, this sorted out some kext errors. It is still not able to use the caches, not sure why this happens. The 2 finger scrolling works much better than with the Dell drivers under Windows  :D

Update:

After a few hours of fiddling I didn't manage to sort out the caches, they are not even created, no cache files in the usual places at all. I'm also having troubles enabling trim, tried it via myhack which causes booting up to hang. Tried with trim enabler & chameleon ssd optimizer, both say patch is active but trim is not enabled both in the trim enabler app and in the system profiler. I've also applied the patch via the terminal all to no avail. I went as far as I could within my abilities and could google up. Will give it another go some time later. Trim works in Lion for me.

Update 2:
Figured out why trim patching didn't work for me. It needs to patch the IOAHCIBlockStorage kext file inside IOAHCIFamily which somehow went wrong. Used myHack to patch an original 10.8.4 IOAHCIFamily kext and moved the blockstorage kext inside the version from the 10.8.4 zip file and that made trim work.

Update 3:
If it isn't a malfunctioning FakeSMC/HWMonitor combination, I think I know what is causing the heat-up. According to HWMonitor the GPU is always running at 400MHz core/memory clock speeds. In Windows those clock speeds fluctuate between 135MHz-600MHz .The shader clock speed and voltage change in Windows too but I have no means to check if that happens in OSX. I will do a copper mod on the GPU but it would be nice to get the fluctuation clock speeds to work. If that is possible at all. Any tips would be appreciated.

I was having a heck of a time with this site. I created an account and everything but it still was not working for me. I found Patel on XDA and contacted him on there. He got me going, and with the help of the guide things went very smoothly after a week of trial and error. I just wanted to say thanks! :)

Since I'm not sure if the card you found is a 1510 or a 1520 (the eBay listing doesn't say), I found this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170610456887) which should work just fine.

Just to say many many thanks for you and everyone working on this form and you patel4prez the creator of the original guide, I just  received my DW1510, installed it , and it works like a treat,  63Mbps download speed!!!!

apart from the SD card which is not needed anyway, everything working fine.. even my battery life is as good as it was with win7, nearly 3hrs !

the only problem I have, I don't know if any of you have noticed, or its my imagination, the fan comes on more frequent, i.e. the system runs hotter compared to when i had win7 installed.

I have i5 2.6GHz, 64GB SSD HD and 8 GB RAM

many many many thanks again

The DW1510 is supported OOB, not the DW1520. I have both tested before. There's not known kext that will support DW1520 or it will ever be. It has a whole new chipset.

There are several cards that fit the bill. As Jake Lo has indicated the DW1510 works OOB and has the benefit of being able to be rebranded

[...]

A quick Google of "DW1520 kext" indicates no success as of yet, despite a great deal of effort to get it working in OSx. 

Ok, that's good to know... I was about to order a 1520 actually, since I must have misread something somewhere. I guess I was confused by the fact one is a BCM4322 and the other is BCM94322? I dunno.

Anyway, I found an Atheros AR9285 I had laying around, which I did manage to get working, but not without some setbacks. I ended up needing to reinstall from scratch in the end.

After installing the card and patching /S/L/E/IO80211/Content/Plugins/AirportAtheros40.kext/Info.plist to add the PCI ID [168c:002b], I got errors like these:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40]: The super class vtable '__ZTV17IO80211Controller' for vtable '__ZTV22AirPort_AtherosNewma40' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
kxld[com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40]: The __ZTV26AtherosNewma40P2PInterface was not patched because its parent, the __ZTV19IO80211P2PInterface, was not found.

It turns out there's some copy of IONetworkingFamily.kext being loaded somewhere else that's an incompatible version. I removed the copies at /Extra/Extensions and at /S/L/E/myHack.app/Contents/Plugins/ and it loads successfully.

In my new install that's the end of it, the card works perfectly, but in my old install, it started acting like the airportd problem, where it would immediately say Connection Timed Out, even though I was already using the old 10.8.3 version.

It turns out there was something strange about the authentication, and if I went into Keychain Access and deleted all instances of my AP from both Login and System, then it would at least pop up asking me for a password. But then, when I entered the password it would instantly say Connection Failed, and the system log would say it failed because no password was entered.

I'm not sure if any of that helps anyone, maybe provides insight into how 10.8.4's wifi authentication has changed. Either way I couldn't figure it out and needed to reinstall.

I thought maybe I needed the 10.8.4 copy of airportd, so I applied the combo update again, then before rebooting applied the kexts in the first post (IOACPIsomething.kext), but for whatever reason the combo update broke Chameleon, and on reboot I was given "cannot find /mach_kernel"

So anyway... After reinstall everything works now, and this Atheros card seems to be doing a great job.

PS: Patel: About the trackpad - This install I tried just installing the VoodooPS2.kext on a fresh install, without deleting any other PS2 kexts, and without installing the VoodooPS2Daemon program. It seems to be working fine this way. I have no idea why last time it decided to not work unless the other PS2 kexts were deleted. You may want to add the VoodooPS2.kext in the post-install instructions, in the same section as VoodooHDA, and leave the current instructions under troubleshooting.