E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

I have removed it here, doesn't make any difference unfortunately.

Update:

Found this post to be very informative. I can't find any entry for our nvidia (0a6c) in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext And creating an entry is much too daunting for me! It does explain why the GPUs p-states are not working though. They are defined there if I understand it correctly. The entry for the 6,2 MBP might be interesting but I wouldn't know what to do other than adding a device matching very closely to one from a mac as I can't seem to find any macbook with a GPU based on this GT218.

Pressing Fn + Z resets the thermal/fan stuff, which will help when the fans don't shut off anymore (happens on other latitudes too). 

For those with a rebranded wifi card I had to keep the original IOPCIFamily.kext and not use the one from the S/L/E folder in the 10.8.4 zip file. Otherwise wifi won't work unless you also use the modified Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext. 

Hi, 

I've installed 2.8.4 VoodooHDA with the included kext from the OSX86 download, with no luck.  Could you please share the plist you're using?

regards

voodooohda 2.8.3 or .4 works well why not try that. you might have to edit the plist in the kext to customize for your machine. 

I can confirm the display port works sans the audio over it. Can't get the nvidia hd audio device to work, it shows in lspci. But displayport -> hdmi works fine. Got my laptop connected to my tv @ 1920x1080 without any troubles.

Hi I'm awaiting delivery of my E6410 and I'm going to install 10.8 as per the guide and wondered if anyone has had any luck enabling audio via the display port?

Doing some research before starting and I found this guide for the Thinkpad T410 which has very similar specs to the E6410 (identical graphics) and they have had success with the audio.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/274218-guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t510510i-plus-t410-and-w510-106-107-108-all-working-ok-20121202-update/

Not sure how much this will help as this will be my first hackintosh and I feel like I'm on the bottom run of a tall ladder!!

There is no HD audio device listed in the volume settings/output devices here. Esata works but hot swapping doesn't. Can't fully eject the device. Not via diskutil too. So you would need a reboot if you want to use another esata device.

Removing c/p-state generation options from chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)/chameleon seems to have improved the speedstepping a lot, since the 6,2 mbp has the same cpu I figured we don't need any riff-raff. I see much more steps passing by now, system seems cooler too. Still haven't been able to get the gpu clock to work. 

Edit:

With some help of google and our Chinese friends, I've added the following to the mbp 6,2 entry to AGPMs Info.plist, HWMonitor still doesn't show any changes, but the system.log does and things seem to run cooler, the fan actually shuts off from time to time. The 110 values are used to prevent state 3 which we don't have. We only have 3 power states, Apple uses 4. To enable logging be sure you have the logcontrol key set to 1.

Back on page 21 or so, when I was playing with editing the DSDT, I found that it was the displayport's audio chip preventing sleep mode from working. It's the HDA device in the DSDT, and I recall it's missing some return value, preventing sleep from working. Could be related. I dunno. I really have no idea how any of this works, I make it up as I go along.

rmk: I tried adding that, but it's giving me "[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform" in the log now. I'm not sure if I put it in the right section. I added it right after this part:

<key>MacBookPro6,2</key>
                                <dict>
                                        <key>LogControl</key>
                                        <integer>1</integer>
                                        <key>Vendor10deDevice0a6c</key> (your code starts here)

That is the right section, you need to use 6,2 version in smbios.plist in /Extra then it should detect it and log changes. Or maybe your device id is different than mine. Another thing that may be related is me changing smbios version in fakesmc to the 6,2 one found on apple.com as outlined in the performance tutorial.

DSDT seems interesting too, you are further than I am, I also make it up as I go along :D It could just be psychological but after getting speedstep to work properly (sometimes one core runs at 13x and one at 11x) it is much cooler. I'm not 100% sure GPU G-states are working correctly but that could be just a HWMonitor issue. The AGPM values could be tweaked if needed. I haven't noticed any reduced graphics performance. The only thing that has reduced is the temperature, not buy much but every little helps.

Sleep or audio of displayport are not yet in my way but would be nice to get working. For now I am aiming to get the laptop as cool and quiet as under windows. If only Dell didn't hide their fan control so well...