E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

First time playing with a hackintosh since Apple originally went to x86 hardware, and I must say that due to this guide it was an absolute cake walk.  My wifi didn't work, but that was due to my laptop including the Intel-based adapter.  I paid $9.99 and free shipping for the proper broadcom-based adapter, arrived the next day and now wifi works great.  As everyone knows, the built-in SD card reader doesn't work, but I have an old Targus multi-reader in my bag and it works perfectly.  So no biggee there.

As for the 10.8.5 upgrade, it says that it failed even when connected via ethernet.  But as previously mentioned, rebooting shows that it actually completed successfully.  Also, I haven't tried the VGA port, however I use a dock and the DVI out on it works flawlessly.  Had the second display going throughout the install without any issues.  All multi-monitor functions seem to work perfectly, as well.  The audio out on the dock doesn't work, so I just plug my speakers into the headphone jack on the laptop itself, so no issue there.

In all, thanks to the hard work of the OP, turning a Dell e6410 into a Hackbook Pro is a piece of cake and the resulting system is a pleasure to use (back in '06 it was a pain to keep hacking at it to stay working).

Good to hear you got it working so easily, DLonkOz!

As for the audio through the dock, try holding down the windows key and clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar. Then click on "Line Out". When you disconnect from the dock, you can do the same again, but instead choose "Speakers" from the list, to play audio through the speakers again.

The only issue I have found with this workaround is that it gets quite annoying :P .

Currently, I am working on a solution to do this automatically. Hopefully I can finish it soon. :)

Hello again guys,

I did not even realize this until the other day - but since enabling TRIM on my SSD my machine ignores the kernel cache on every boot.  I have UseKernelCache=yes in plist but it is still ignored which is making for REALLY long boot times.  I have repaired cache a few times with myhack and kext wizard.  Any tips?

Hello again guys,

I did not even realize this until the other day - but since enabling TRIM on my SSD my machine ignores the kernel cache on every boot.  I have UseKernelCache=yes in plist but it is still ignored which is making for REALLY long boot times.  I have repaired cache a few times with myhack and kext wizard.  Any tips?

For comparison's sake, what sort of boot times were you getting with TRIM on vs TRIM off?

• Administrators

Hello again guys,

Hi, there's a couple of things you can check:

1) status of -f flag in the Chameleon boot plist; it should be off.

2) presence/absence of any rogue manual boot option at Chameleon bootstrap; press a key at Chameleon delay bar to check if any cache related option or boot flag has remained after the ?: prompt or not. If you find something, delete it, boot your system and once you're back into OS X, remove the NVRAM plist file that is in /Extra. Then reboot and evaluate how it goes...

I do not have -f in the chameleon boot.plist, and I have UseKernelCache=Yes in there.  I realized last night the issue is that none of the Kext utilities I have tried are creating caches.  the Extension.mkext after being removed from my Extra folder is not recreated by Kext Wizard, and there is nothing but a .gz compressed file in the S/L/C/Startup -- isn't there supposed to be a mkext / kext folder?  

P.S.  Last night it was saying "Kernel Cache Ignored"  Now it is saying it cannot find one

@Patel - I realize now this problem might not be related to SSD / TRIM because I also had removed kexts for my old USB dongle after the new SSD, possibly the culprit -- but more importantly wtf is going on with my cache folder!

And when I first installed the SSD it was booting in like 10 seconds, with or without trim (must have been with cache though)

Edit -- When I reset the NVRAM and reboot, and then repaired permissions / rebuild kext in KW, I was able to have it create an extensions.mkext file.  Now I am repairing the cache in S/L/E and it has been working for a good time now - maybe 5-10 minutes.  So I am hoping this will be the fix *fingers crossed*