E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

So I attempted to install at work (Where I have no access to an OSX machine)

It failed during install and won't boot to USB after the failed install, my guess after reformatting the SSD there is no more chameleon on the main drive.  But it's weird that it won't boot from USB - doesn't myhack install chameleon on the USB stick?  

Reformatting / Making the USB thumb drive and will try again tonight, will keep you guys posted.

Edit:  A USB 3.0 myhack install disc does little good (Pretty sure that caused my problem at work - at least the bootloader part)

Edit2: Also realize now this disk I installed with did not have a custom Extra folder, meaning the new install got none of the goods lol

Clean install finished.  Through the entire post install process I did not use Kext Wizard to touch caches, only repair permissions and install kexts.  Using the given commands, I get different errors which actually specify kexts so I'd like to think I'm getting somewhere.  

I am now going to post the given terminal errors, It mentions some networking kexts and I'd like some feedback so I can figure out if they are needed. 

Thanks again guys

Last login: Sat Sep 21 19:45:26 on ttys000

ldv-mpc:~ LDV$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
Password:
ldv-mpc:~ LDV$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: IOPCIDevice::protectDevice(unsigned int, unsigned int)
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: IOPCIDevice::setConfigHandler(int (*)(void*, unsigned int, IOPCIDevice*, unsigned int), void*, int (**)(void*, unsigned int, IOPCIDevice*, unsigned int), void**)
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: IOPCI2PCIBridge::adjustPowerState(unsigned long)
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
ldv-mpc:~ LDV$ 

The most interesting thing to me, is that this is DIFFERENT than what I got a few minutes ago on a previous boot, although I did forget to use the 'touch' command, so that could be the variable.

Thanks again guys -- I'll let you all know if the cache starts working.

I know I'm destroying this board right now -- but this is interesting.

I just timed my current boot times with and without verbose mode.

With -v : 2:50 Minutes

Without -v: 0:28 Minutes

is Verbose mode triggering -f as well?  I am a little baffled and frustrated I didn't try on my previous install :P  (I always booted with -v in plist)

I've tried this method multiple times with the 10.8.4 installer on my E6410 with Intel HD graphics. Every time I attempt it and I actually manage to get to the language screen of the installer (50% of the time it never gets there, just ends on Ethernet and sits there) my keyboard and mouse are non-responsive and I can't use any usb mice either. I tried it using the e6410 ML folder with the installer, I tried using the e6410 10.8.4 ML folder, I deleted the proper kexts for intel graphics, nothing works. I even tried using the voodoo keyboard kexts at the bottom of the tutorial, but I got an immediate KP. Why cant I use my trackpad/keyboard when it starts the installer? :( I read many pages of comments to this thread and found nothing similar to my issue (if there's a search within thread function please point it out, cuz I cant see one and it's sooo useful in a forum)