E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

I've tried a bunch of different things this morning, and i'm getting the error every time. Install says its failed, and trying to load just results in it hanging on 'Still waiting for root device'.

I have used the ML & ML 10.8.4 packages with both the 9/4/2012 & 6/4/2013 update AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts (fresh usb every time). All combinations of this result in that same error.

Any ideas?

Follow the "REBOOTED" instructions from the 6/4/2013 edit (basically, replace the two kexts on the hard drive with the ones on the installation USB)...

It might be me, but this machine looks a lot different than my 6410...

Look at the SD Card reader placement, and the VGA port on the right-hand side...also, the volume buttons are to the right of the keyboard.

Maybe the pictures are just inacurate?

That auction has all kinds of red flags.  All stock photos.  Pics disagree with each other:

Pics 1 and 8 shows the SD card slot in the proper place, just to the right of the screen release button, pics 3 and 4 shows no screen release button and the SD card slot perfectly centered.

Pic 7 shows the same rear as my 6410, no idea what 2 and 5 are (other than different)

Yes, it ends with an error that the installation failed.  Per Coldsun1187's post #356, I get what he mentions at bullet three - at the end of the actual install I see an "Installation Failed" message and the three questions never pop up at the end of the install.  (I've never seen these three questions, so I am just going by his post that they are supposed to come up).

One thing I don't understand is the behavior when I use just the E6410ML folder to create my USB installer, I DO NOT see the hard drive; it sounds like that is not the norm for everyone else.  Any idea why that is?

I don't have the laptop here with me; I will retry it again in the morning, and see what the installer log says (I just found that early Friday, after trying this more times than I care to admit!)

Today I tried it again;  this is with a USB installer using the orignal E6410ML files, and the two updated kexts from the 9/4/2012 edit.  I copied them to the USB using the KEXT wizard and then doing a maintenance on both Extra & S/L/E on the USB.  Booted with the USB, did a format on the hard drive, and ran the installer.  Again, the installer never finishes, never gets to the three questions part at the end.

The installer log says:

Unknown[286]: FSF Cache NOT written: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Recovered Items/Library/Caches/com.apple.FindSystemFiles.plist

OSInstaller[305]: PackageKit: ----- Begin Install -----

OSInstaller[305]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7f8e7e6b1fb0

OSInstaller[305]: Install Failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail.  Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

---

I'm confused by the two sets of instructions.  Post #1, under the 9/12/2013 part (which refers to the 6/4/2103 part) says to create the installer with the updated 10.8.4 zip file, but there are also pointers to Coldsun1187's post #356 which says to create the installer with the original E6410ML zip file, and don't refer to the 10.8.4 zip file until the part of the installation that I am not getting to (As I understand it), the three questions at the end of the OS installation.  Again, when I create the installer using the original E6410ML file, I cannot see the hard drive, unless I fiddle with the kexts (which I suspect I am doing wrong);  if I use the 10.8.4 file, it sees the hard drive, but the installation fails same as the using the original file with replaced kexts.

I assume I am missing some basic step, but don't see which one...

I assume I am missing some basic step, but don't see which one...

To explain further - I am crashing at step #28 under Installation: "Process will take about 20 - 40 minutes", It crashes, and I never get asked for an Extra folder, so the installation never finishes, and of course I never get to the Post-Installation part, either.

Right, thanks to Patel, I've got it!

For 10.8.5 (v1.3.29 if you open get info on the original ML installer), you should install using the 10.8.4 pack found in the 6/4/13 edit.

The installer says it fails, but if you then restart and treat it as a rebooted computer in the same post (copy AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily over using terminal), and then follow the rest of the guide, everything works like a dream.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Except Wi-Fi, which isn't being recognised with either the 10.8.4 airportd or the 10.8.3 one

Right, thanks to Patel, I've got it!

For 10.8.5 (v1.3.29 if you open get info on the original ML installer), you should install using the 10.8.4 pack found in the 6/4/13 edit.

The installer says it fails, but if you then restart and treat it as a rebooted computer in the same post (copy AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily over using terminal), and then follow the rest of the guide, everything works like a dream.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Except Wi-Fi, which isn't being recognised with either the 10.8.4 airportd or the 10.8.3 one

Still not working for me.

Built the installer with the 10.8.4 zip file, ran through the installer, fails at step 28, same as always.

I rebooted with the USB installer, chose the HDD, launched the O/S installer, accepted the license, launched terminal, and copied over the updated kexts, downloaded from the 6/4/2013 update, ran MyHack, MyFix, Full, copied over the extra folder off of the 10.8.4 folder when asked; when MyHack was done, rebooted off of the USB installer, and chose to boot from the hard drive.

At this point, I get the Apple Logo, and it just sits there.  Finally shutdown, and rebooted off of the USB installer, and entered the "-v", chose the Macintosh HD, and ended up with this:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: sleep states S3 S4 S5

pci build  Sep 29 2013 13:35:16, flags 0x23008, pfm64 (36 CPU) 0xf80000000, 0x80000000

[ PCI Configuration Begin ]

And it sits there. 

What next?

is you bios set to AHCI for sata? if not leon made a post on  PCI Configuration Begin issues.

Yes - the bios IS set to AHCI (thanks for asking; never hurts to check the basics...).  Any suggestions on how to find Leon's post on PCI Configuration Begin issues? I'm not having any luck...

Thanks for the link, but it says it addresses "Waiting for root/boot device", not "PCI Configuration Begin".  I am starting on 10.8.5 and that only links through 10.8.2.  Would the files linked there be the same ones linked in post #1 in this thread?  In my case, the AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts.zip for 10.8.4 linked from the 6/4/2013 edit?

Currently, I am researching the options to try at boot (along with -v, but nothing has worked so far).