E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hey Riad Ziane,

I'm glad it worked for you!

To answer your questions:

As for your dual boot, I've had better success formatting the drive as an MBR disk with 2 partitions under OS X first, then installing Windows to the first partition, and OS X to the second (with the MBR Patch) AFTER Windows. This is to avoid having to mess with the partitions and set the OS X one as active after installation. 

Good Lord, the last part of your reply kinda scared me :-o. I am gonna need a few days to decipher all this. Is there a guide?

You sound like you have tried Mavericks on your E6410. Is it any better than ML? I mean worth the risk of screwing an already good working hackintosh  ?

This is indeed my only laptop. So time machine before anything.

Thanx

Haha yes, I previously had Mavericks on the 6410. There guide I linked to above has the specifics on how to get it running. IMO, it's a bit more stable than ML and has more of the kinks worked out.

As far as the risk, hackintosh in and of itself is a risk, and if you got it running on your machine once, you can do it again. Just a matter of time and patience. 

Lastly, you don't necessarily NEED to re-format your drive, unless it has a GUID Partition Table on it now, in which case, I would. This is because when installing Windows on a GPT drive, the installer sets it up to boot via UEFI, which OS X isn't (yet) 100% working with on our machines. By booting via UEFI, you can't boot to the Chameleon bootloader which is needed by OS X, turning your machine into a Windows only one until you reinstall over an MBR setup.

Thanks,

As a beginner to hackintosh, I did format the HDD as GPT - that is what most tutorials recommand ( I have to admit, they were not designed for dual boot ) . My Dell runs windows on an NTFS partition, and ML on a GPT partition. But the bootsequence won't find the bootloader so I have to plug in the myHack USB each time I turn the machine on. Works everytime, but not very handy. This was my first shot at it and surely not the final setup. So I've got patience, time and willingness to learn more .

So i will redo everything as MBR - 2 partitions, install W7 first, then OSX then the MBR patch. I just hope I won't have to load the bootloader from an external drive.

Where can I find this patch by the way ?

Thanks

If you can still access the ML partition, you should be able to reinstall Chameleon with the myHack app. Hopefully that should set the OS X partition as Active/the boot partition.

If that doesn't work, try downloading MiniTool Partition Wizard (there's a free, home version) for Windows. After you install it, run it and set whichever one of the "Other" partitions is bigger as Active (right click on it, Set Active).

Neither of these options worked...but never mind, I am getting a new HDD and will redo everything and see ...probably upgrade to Mavericks as well.

For the time being, did you notice any lag when playing back mp4 files with either Quicktime or VLC?

My playback is very bad at the moment, I have tried converting to different formats using youtube downloader but without much success I am afraid. Any advice is more than welcome

Thanks

Hi

Glad to see this forum is still alive. I have a daughter's whose school has asked they use Apple technology. I was looking at a MacBook AIR until I saw this thread. Would you recommend a second hand cheap 6410 as a MacBook AIR alternative. I realise the 6410 is 0.5Kg heavier and will be configured with Mountain Lion (and not Yosemite). Advantages are that it will be cheaper, more flexible (disk and memory), has an integrated DVD drive, could be configured as a dual boot, and is not such a great target for theft. Would you recommend a hacked 6410 as an alternative to the MacBook for use at a high school. And if I bought a second hand 6410, installed a Broadcom wifi, and replaced the disk with a SSD then using your guide should I be good to go? Note I am windows aware and have had minimal exposure to apple. Also, while I have access to an Apple, can you please confirm your first command "/Applications/Install OS X Mountain Lion ..." will not modify that system but just make the install available.

Hi

Glad to see this forum is still alive. I have a daughter's whose school has asked they use Apple technology. I was looking at a MacBook AIR until I saw this thread. Would you recommend a second hand cheap 6410 as a MacBook AIR alternative. I realise the 6410 is 0.5Kg heavier and will be configured with Mountain Lion (and not Yosemite). Advantages are that it will be cheaper, more flexible (disk and memory), has an integrated DVD drive, could be configured as a dual boot, and is not such a great target for theft. Would you recommend a hacked 6410 as an alternative to the MacBook for use at a high school. And if I bought a second hand 6410, installed a Broadcom wifi, and replaced the disk with a SSD then using your guide should I be good to go? Note I am windows aware and have had minimal exposure to apple. Also, while I have access to an Apple, can you please confirm your first command "/Applications/Install OS X Mountain Lion ..." will not modify that system but just make the install available.

I use it as my daily driver/main machine, so I can definitely vouch for its reliability. Just make sure not to update it without checking the forum first!

Also, Mountain Lion isn't your only option; Yosemite works too :)

Hi

Applying this tutorial on a 6510....got stuck in the Install phase, step 11 to 12.

Can't get to the bootloader as it is looking for a bluetooth keyboard, which I don't have obviously.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Applying this tutorial on a 6510....got stuck in the Install phase, step 11 to 12.

Can't get to the bootloader as it is looking for a bluetooth keyboard, which I don't have obviously.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try plugging in a physical USB keyboard. Or disable bluetooth from the BIOS if you don't have one.