E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Oh okay,

Sorry; I didn't understand your previous post very well..

First, if you've downloaded the Mountain Lion installer after 8/24/2012, you need to use the E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip with the guide.

Once you have made your USB Installer, since you are on intel graphics, try and delete the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from System/Library/Extensions by doing the following:

1. On a working mac/hackintosh with your USB Installer plugged in, open the flash drive to reveal its contents in Finder
  2. Open the System folder
  3. Open the Library folder
  4. Open the Extensions folder
  5. Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext by dragging it to the Trash from Finder
  6. Delete AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext by dragging it to the Trash from Finder
  7. Use Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild caches (Open Kext Wizard, Navigate to the "Maintenance" tab in the bar at the top, select the USB Installer from the drop-down, select /Extra and /System/Library/Extensions (all check boxes should now be checked), and then click Execute)
  8. Eject your USB Installer from the working mac/hackintosh and try booting to the installer on your E6410 (press F12 at the Dell logo screen/BIOS to enter the One time boot menu and then select the USB Storage Device from the list

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Hi Patel,

I too have IntelHD graphics and downloaded my Mountain Lion yesterday from the App Store, so have also downloaded the 10.8.1 myhack, E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip.

I have followed your initial guide and above suggestion to the T and still get the same problem as before - The machine starts to boot, i see the grey screen with Apple logo, then the activity light on the USB stops and a minute or so later I get a circle with a line through it appear over the top section of the apple logo, where it hangs until I turn off the machine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thx

J

Great guide!

My E6410 boot succesfully into OS X ;)

Just 1 things: OS X boot successfully but it takes something like 5-6 minutes before i can put my password to login (login screen appears after 1 minute but mouse and keyboard starts working after 5 mins)

Any suggestion?

Hi Patel,

I too have IntelHD graphics and downloaded my Mountain Lion yesterday from the App Store, so have also downloaded the 10.8.1 myhack, E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip.

I have followed your initial guide and above suggestion to the T and still get the same problem as before - The machine starts to boot, i see the grey screen with Apple logo, then the activity light on the USB stops and a minute or so later I get a circle with a line through it appear over the top section of the apple logo, where it hangs until I turn off the machine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thx

J

Hey Yorkshire_Jon,

At the bootloader/screen where you see the hard drive icons, can you please hover over the partition/disk with Mountain Lion and type "-v" (without quotes) and then enter? Then, all you need to do is post the last few lines that it hangs at here.

Great guide!

My E6410 boot succesfully into OS X ;)

Just 1 things: OS X boot successfully but it takes something like 5-6 minutes before i can put my password to login (login screen appears after 1 minute but mouse and keyboard starts working after 5 mins)

Any suggestion?

Hi katta,

Did you install the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) bootloader during the setup?

Also, what are your machine's specifications (ex. CPU, Graphics, etc.)?

Hey Yorkshire_Jon,

At the bootloader/screen where you see the hard drive icons, can you please hover over the partition/disk with Mountain Lion and type "-v" (without quotes) and then enter? Then, all you need to do is post the last few lines that it hangs at here.

OK, so I did the -v thing and it showed many pages of files it was reading and loading on a grey screen, then it went to a black screen with a heap of white text.

The last page read something like:

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2

USBF: 14.127 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff800aaa1000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr:4, EP: 0)

USBF: 20.131 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff800aaa1000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr:4, EP: 0)

USBF: 26.136 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff800aaa1000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x1d, timing out! (Addr:4, EP: 0)

USBF: 38.199 [0xffffff800b79c400] The IOUSBFamily is haviong trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 4 of Hub at 0x1d100000)

Above repeats (different xx.yyy numbers) several times and then...

USBF: 148.297 [0xffffff800b79c400] The IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries. (Port 4 of Hub at 0x1d100000)

USBF: 148.297 [0xffffff800b79c400] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

Still waiting for root device

A new line showing "Still waiting for root device" appears every 30s or so.

Hope thats of help!.

Thx

Jon

That definitely is a lot of help! But next time, after you see Still waiting for root device, you can shut down :-)

Anyway, try using the patched kexts for 10.8.1 from the first post using kext wizard, and then run a myFix (Full) on the flash drive. I may have uploaded the wrong e6410 ml 10.8.1.zip which doesn't contain those two kexts...

Please let me know how that works for you.

Hi katta,

Did you install the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) bootloader during the setup?

Also, what are your machine's specifications (ex. CPU, Graphics, etc.)?

Yes i did.

Hardware Spec:

GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M]

Wifi: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224

Ethernet: Intel Corporation 82577LM

CPU: Intel i5

Memory: 4Gb