E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

That definitely is a lot of help! But next time, after you see Still waiting for root device, you can shut down :-)

Anyway, try using the patched kexts for 10.8.1 from the first post using kext wizard, and then run a myFix (Full) on the flash drive. I may have uploaded the wrong e6410 ml 10.8.1.zip which doesn't contain those two kexts...

Please let me know how that works for you.

Ok, so I downloaded the (pre 24/8/12) E6410ML.zip file, dragged the kexts from S/L/E folder into kext wizard, selected "Backup kexts that will be replaced", clicked on "System/Library/Extensions" and selected the correct Target Disk, then clicked install. After that finished I went to the Maintenenance Tab, clicked on "Extra" and "System/Library/Extensions", selected the right target disk and then clicked Execute. After that finished I went to MyHack and selected a myFix (Full). This is where it started to go wrong...

It started off OK and then took all night with the USB activity light flashing and nothing else happening. This morning I tried to boot from the USB in the laptop and got the same errors as before (different numbers after USBF: xx.yyy and Addr:3, EP:) this time instead of 4,0 last time).

Did I do something wrong?

I still have the AppleIntekHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext missing from the USB drive since I deleted them (unless doing the above put them back?).

Suggestions please.

Thx

Jon

Ok, so I downloaded the (pre 24/8/12) E6410ML.zip file, dragged the kexts from S/L/E folder into kext wizard, selected "Backup kexts that will be replaced", clicked on "System/Library/Extensions" and selected the correct Target Disk, then clicked install. After that finished I went to the Maintenenance Tab, clicked on "Extra" and "System/Library/Extensions", selected the right target disk and then clicked Execute. After that finished I went to MyHack and selected a myFix (Full). This is where it started to go wrong...

It started off OK and then took all night with the USB activity light flashing and nothing else happening. This morning I tried to boot from the USB in the laptop and got the same errors as before (different numbers after USBF: xx.yyy and Addr:3, EP:) this time instead of 4,0 last time).

Did I do something wrong?

I still have the AppleIntekHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext missing from the USB drive since I deleted them (unless doing the above put them back?).

Suggestions please.

Thx

Jon

Hey Jon,

It doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong...

Try making sure that the BIOS settings are correct (the SATA Configuration setting should be AHCI, not anything else)...

If that doesn't work for you, I would try and rebuild the USB drive again, but this time by using the 10.8.2 Mountain Lion installer which was just put out by Apple today. Note that you need to use the "E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip" (found in the first post under the 9/4/2012 edit) and NOT the "E6410 ML.zip" with the guide instead.

Hey Jon,

It doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong...

Try making sure that the BIOS settings are correct (the SATA Configuration setting should be AHCI, not anything else)...

If that doesn't work for you, I would try and rebuild the USB drive again, but this time by using the 10.8.2 Mountain Lion installer which was just put out by Apple today. Note that you need to use the "E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip" (found in the first post under the 9/4/2012 edit) and NOT the "E6410 ML.zip" with the guide instead.

OK, so latest Mountain Lion Installer (I shall download that later), plus th eE6410 ML 10.8.1zip file.

Do I need to do anything with the kexts, or just follow the guide to the letter?

Also, I have just noticed that the Mountain Lion I downloaded yesterday was created on 17/8/12 (according to file properties), interesting that is supposed to be pre 10.8.1 from 24/8/12! I suspect the file may have been created BEFORE it was released on 24/8/12.

I am just downloading ML again now so will use that with a new USB build and see what happens!

Thx,

J

OK, so latest Mountain Lion Installer (I shall download that later), plus th eE6410 ML 10.8.1zip file.

Do I need to do anything with the kexts, or just follow the guide to the letter?

Thx,

J

Follow the guide to the letter and then (as the very last step before rebooting from the USB Drive) remove the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.

I hope this works! :)

Follow the guide to the letter and then (as the very last step before rebooting from the USB Drive) remove the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.

I hope this works! :)

So that I get this right...

Once Ive created the new USB drive and copied over the E6410 ML10.8.1 folder, before I eject the USB I simply delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder... Do I need to do anything else (Kextwizard or something???)

Thx

Jon

So that I get this right...

Once Ive created the new USB drive and copied over the E6410 ML10.8.1 folder, before I eject the USB I simply delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder... Do I need to do anything else (Kextwizard or something???)

Thx

Jon

Nope. You've got that right....

Hi Patel,

Update:

I downloaded 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and rebuilt the USB image using the E6410 10.8.1.zip, following your guide to the letter. I then deleted AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder and ejected from the Mac.

I installed using the "-v" option and the Dell shows all the files loaded on the grey screen & white text. Its goes further than it did yesterday and then swaps over to a black screen with white text, this screen also goes further than it did yesterday and comes to a halt as shown in the attached image.

At this point there is no USB or HD activity.

Any further thoughts?

Thx

Jon

Hi Patel,

Update:

I downloaded 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and rebuilt the USB image using the E6410 10.8.1.zip, following your guide to the letter. I then deleted AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder and ejected from the Mac.

I installed using the "-v" option and the Dell shows all the files loaded on the grey screen & white text. Its goes further than it did yesterday and then swaps over to a black screen with white text, this screen also goes further than it did yesterday and comes to a halt as shown in the attached image.

At this point there is no USB or HD activity.

Any further thoughts?

Thx

Jon

I don't see your attached image...