Optiplex 7040 SFF: no 4K on Monterey with HD530 iGPU

Aurola

Hi I'm having a bit of a pickle, 

I wanted to give my optiplex  an upgrade to Monterey after buying a 4k screen and I had previously a perfect installation (even in 4k) with Catalina from JakeLo.

Now with opencore and Monterey I shows only 2K resolution even with SwitchResX. with Catalina I used an hdmi and have now switched over to a display port because I thought that was the solution. is there anyone that can give me a tip or tell me what I can do?  With Catalina I used the gt730 from MSI and now with Monterey Intel HD Graphics 530.

do I need buy another graphics card or what can I do?

its so strange that it would worked with Catalina

my monitor is an Benq EW3280U

in attachment is my config file

Kind regads

Optiplex_7040.zip

• Administrators

Nothing strange at all...

Kepler NVIDIA GT730 supports 4K completely natively in macOS. Nothing to do but plug the 4K monitor and off you go. I've got the Asus GT730-2GD5-BRK model (low-profile version with HDMI 1.4/DVI-D/VGA ports) in my old C2D desktop and obtain 4K@30Hz out of HDMI OOB.

With the Intel Skylake iGPU, you usually need to set DVMT pre-allocated memory to at least 64MB, if it ain't 96MB. That's certainly what we have to do on our Skylake E7x70 laptops to gain 4K output out of the mobile HD520/HD530 iGPU over mDP/HDMI. 4K@60Hz is only supported out of mDP/DP with 4K@30Hz only out of HDMI 1.4. I would assume the same to apply to desktop Skylake graphics.

Check your BIOS settings for any option/parameter allowing to adjust DVMT and, if there's nothing at all, give a shot at the process detailed in our FAQ section by @Jake Lo (based on Firewolf's work) to try and identify the default amount of DVMT pre-allocated memory and adjust it through Grub shell mod.

• Moderators

@Aurola

Hervé is right. You'll need to set the DVMT and CFG Lock.

For my 7040 MT, I had both cfg lock and DVMT pre-alloc set with the following commands respectively using modgrubshell.efi

setup_var 0xAF 0x0 

setup_var 0x350 0x4

After the changes, disable the following in config file

framebuffer-fbmem

framebuffer-stolenmem

• Like 1

Hi, i did all the steps below, with help from "Changing DVMT values in BIOS" @Jake Lo thanks for that

i unplugged the osx ssd for that and did a quick windows install on another ssd.

after that i changed:

setup_var 0xAF 0x0 

setup_var 0x350 0x4

After the changes, disable the following in config file

framebuffer-fbmem

framebuffer-stolenmem

now i replugged the OSX ssd and the opencore usb, but i cannot seem to boot up anymore? no bootable device found?

did i miss something?

Kind regards

kristof

• Administrators

Reset BIOS to default settings to undo the variables mod, then re-apply the regular/expected BIOS settings (UEFI, AHCI disk mode, etc.). You should have checked the variables before changing their values in case those for your SFF model differ from Jakes's MT model.

Hi Hervé, i did check them,

setup_var 0xAF 0x0  For CFG lock and setup_var 0x350 0x4 for 128mb

I think the error is more in the usb that use to boot into my monterey ssd. I changed the config file with above 

framebuffer-fbmem

framebuffer-stolenmem

but it is like the memory stick does not see a bootable drive afer editing in windows.

when i use an old clover usb it is recognized (but not bootable)

and i can ofcourse still boot of windows. 

the monterey usb does not, can i repair it or something? I think i did everything correct but maybe the mistake was mounting it in windows.