NUC7i5DNKE: seeking help with LCD panel connected to internal eDP port

Asxetos

A help request for the experts...

So i have a spare NUC7i5DNKE (the one with 2 HDMI ports and an internal eDP port for an lcd flat panel).
A while ago i aquired a dead laptop with a 15" 4K touchscreen lcd, and thought i will try to combine the two, and (try to) build a nice 4K hack.
All that was needed was some cable modification which was done. The panel works fine on windows (full 4K res., the touchscreen and the webcam).

On macos it doesn't come-up. It's identified as a 27" 2560x1440 lcd and gives NO picture, not even the backlight comes on.
HDMI ofcourse works fine.

I used the config from here: Hackintosh-NUC7I7DNKE
Thinking this is an identical system and just added my serial. I tested both MacMini8,1 and iMac18.1 smbios, same results.

I have no idea if the display adapter - lcd config is correct, or if it is missing necessary data for an eDP lcd to work. The guy probably uses it with an HDMI monitor.

PS. i replaced the broadcom kexts with the intel ones, but the boot freezes when they are enabled so i omitted them for now (I'll get back to it later).

So, any help appreciated.

Attached are my config OC.zipand the lcd EDID (extracted from windows) NUC7I7DNKE.zip.

Thanks.

• Administrators

You inject KBL framebuffr 0x591E0000 and Intel HD620 graphics in your config, so we'll assume your NUC is fitted with a Kaby Lake CPU. Ideally, do post your system's specs.

Lack of video on this eDP-connected screen may result from a mix of incorrect settings with KBL framebuffer layout and SMBIOS:

• eDP connectors would usually be expected on Apple MacBook and iMac computers, not really on Mac mini. As such, try and target Kaby Lake MacBookPro or iMac models in your experimentations.
  • regarding KBL framebuffers, you'll probably have to experiment with the various layouts available and listed in the Whatevergreen user manual.

You opted for KBL framebuffer 0x591E0000 which is a mobile layout (connector type 02000000 for con0 output port)

ID: 591E0000, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x0000078B
TOTAL STOLEN: 35 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 103 MB, MAX OVERALL: 104 MB (109588480 bytes)
Model name: Intel HD Graphics KBL CRB
Camellia: CamelliaDisabled (0), Freq: 1388 Hz, FreqMax: 1388 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000098 - ConnectorLVDS
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98000000
01050900 00040000 87010000
02040A00 00040000 87010000

but you also chose to patch the connectors. Any particular reason, especially for con0, the LVDS/eDP one for which you patched the pipe number? I'd have started with the default settings, only adjusting the relevant connector (most likely con1) to HDMI type if HDMI audio is expected out of it.

OC_iGPU_settings.jpg

With regards to 4K support, keep it mind that it's closely related to DVMT settings and you would usually need to have at least 64MB (if not 96MB) of pre-allocated memory assigned be able to gain 4K output under macOS. If you can set this directly in BIOS, great, if not, you'll have to consider settings it through Grub shell, having 1st identified the associated variable in BIOS code/tables. Given that your OC config shows no patching for DVMT or framebuffer memory, we can only assume that your current DVMT settings exceed the chosen framebuffer's 34MB requirements and is set to, at least, 64MB.

You may also wan to add WEG boot arg igfxonln=1 to ensure all your video output ports are enabled.

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen

Thanks Hervé,

I started with the donor config unaltered (uses MacMini8.1), just added a serial to boot and install (only HDMI working).

Then i switched to iMac18.1, this been a much better choice for this system (Kaby Lake cpu and internal panel) but with no difference. Obviously the framebuffer data needs correcting, i just drowned in a sea of settings and switches lol.

Anyway, system specs are: i5-7300U cpu (kaby-lake) with 16GB (2x8GB) ram, HD620 graphics, 256GB NVME ssd, and Intel 8265 wlan.

The panel comes from a dead Dell XPS 9530. It's a 15.6" 4K touch screen and on windows it's just brilliant.

I know about the DVMT memory for 4K, but as far as i know Intel has it unlocked (calls it IGD minimum memory) and options range from 32MB up to 1.5GB. I have it on 128MB, and IGD aperture size on 256MB (ranges up-to 4GB). Of course i can set it much higher if necessary.

I will do my homework with your pointers and see what i can get.

Thanks again...

OK, up-to now i managed to get working:

• The eDP panel in full 4K. No touchscreen, I guess i must forget it on MacOS.
  • HDMI with hot-plug OK, (don't now about 4K, the monitor is FHD)
  • Usb ports (int. and ext. ports)
  • Wlan (intel 8265)
  • Sleep.

Having trouble with:

• The Bluetooth.

It looks to be on, but can't discover anything, and although it's discoverable from other devices i can't pair with it.

• The panel backlight adjustment.

If i add SSDT-PNLF in ACPI, i do get a working backlight adjustment but only after a sleep - wake-up cycle.
The eDP panel remains dark from power-on, until the sleep-wake cycle (weird).

• Sleep (or not?)

With HDMI plugged-in, i get working sleep (and power-off). With the eDP panel alone, i get instant wake and power-on after shutdown (2nd weird).

System specs are: i5-7300U cpu (kaby-lake) with 16GB (2x8GB) ram, HD620 graphics on a 15.6" 4K touch screen, 256GB NVME ssd, and Intel 8265 wlan.

12.2.1 Monterey

Could you please have a look at this config and advise?

config.plist.zip

• Administrators

Touchscreens usually are USB-based. I found that, with my Skylake Dell Latitude E7270 laptop, touchscreen worked OOB up to Catalina. In Big Sur and later, Apple apparently dropped support for some legacy USB HID stuff (details of which elude me at this point) but I was able to recover working touchscreen after applying the USB HID Fix in my bootloader config.See here or at Dortania for details.

For the rest, let's keep the thread on-topic please.