E6230: can't boot Catalina after SSD swap

Amaleic

Hello everyone. I need help with my new E6230 (i5-3340M).

I have an ssd from my old E6230 (i5-3320m) with MacOs Catalina installed. I tried to boot from it on a new E6230 (i5-3340m) but the system reboots a few seconds after MacOs Catalina boots (and logged in). I have tried booting via usb device with catalina bootpack #2, but in this case, the system boot stops at 70%-80% at the Apple logo. Tell me what am I doing wrong?
Also, my old E6230 had Atheros WWAN installed (I had to look up a kext for that) and the new one now has Intel WWAN installed.

• Administrators

Without any form of info about what's on your USB device, no possible comment can be made. Boot in verbose mode to see where things hang.

You mention Atheros and Intel WWAN but I guess you meant WLAN. That's unlikely to cause a reboot. If in doubt, simply disable WLAN/WWAN in BIOS.

Talking of BIOS, do check that the settings are all appropriate (cf. our thread about recommended settings for the E6230). Also make sure you run on the latest version A20.

Re: reboot after you've logged in, it may be due to the now-inappropriate CPU power management SSDT. I don't know what bootloader you use but if it's Clover, you may simply drop that add-on table through Clover's main menu at startup (Options->ACPI Patching menu). It'll completely bypass that table and you won't have proper CPU PM but will certainly avoid calling on invalid CPU steps.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

If you meant my E6230 Catalina guide, it contains a power management SSDT for i7-3540M CPU so you need to delete it and replace it by a table that suits your i5-3340M processor. It clearly says so in the guide. Given that I initially had an E6230 with that very specific i5 CPU, that table is available in the guides I posted for previous OS X/macOS versions up to Mojave but I attach a copy below. Feel free to rename the file as you wish.

i5-3340M_ssdt.aml.zip

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

DSDT.dsl is the DSDT source code and of no particular use except if one wants to further patch the table. I only provided it to avoid the Intel iASL bug encountered if recompiling the table after direct modification of the .aml file.

What BIOS version is your E6230 running? Patched DSDT is made from A19 so you gotta run that version at a minimum. As I said earlier, make sure you run on last version A20.

• Administrators

I've doubled checked and there's nothing specific to 3rd party/add-on hardware in the patched DSDT. If you're on BIOS A20 and have the recommended settings in place, I'm a bit dry. Will have to make a new USB key to see.

• Like 1