HP EliteBook Folio 9470m: clean install of Monterey 12.2.1

yahgoo

I successfully clean installed my HP9470m to Monterey 12.3.1 but apps like WhatsApp and VS Code crashed as shown below and battery management is not working.

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 2.45.47 PM.png

One step forward, two steps back.
So, I clean installed Monterey 12.2.1 instead.
Checkout Working EFI

HP9470m Monterey 12-2-1 iPad Mini 6 Purple.png

This laptop with SMBIOS iMac16,1 cannot be upgraded to Monterey 12.2.1 with OC 0.7.2. It always stuck with a prompt that “a required firmware update could not be installed” during installation. Strangely, it cannot boot up with a usb installer with OC 0.7.3 and above.

After reading the successful installation of Monterey and Big Sur by @Sirsasana and @Robbish respectively on their ivy bridge desktop, I decided to tinker it by changing SMBIOS to iMac17,1 which was selected by @Sirsasana.
I noticed that the latest genSMBIOS gathers macserial info from OC 0.7.9

So I updated the USB installer with OC 0.7.9 and kexts. I was delighted that it can boot as iMac17,1 with VirtualSMC.kext. My previous Monterey beta installation required FakeSMC.kext in order to boot.

Rename Monterey System Volume name with Disk Utility. According to @miliuco, the workaround is to install Intel Power Gadget in order to update both the OC boot menu entry and the preboot volume with new name.

• Administrators

This an Ivy Bridge laptop, isn't it? If you use an SMBIOS different from MBP9.x, MBP10.x or MBA5.x, you won't have CPU power management working and are therefore likely to experience such issues as degraded performance and/or increased heat.

Whatsapp and VS Code crashing -> could be linked to issues with Metal (remember that Monterey has no native support for HD4000 unlike Big Sur).

As for battery management, well... I'm not sure it can work with the SMBIOS of a desktop but you'll sure need to inject a battery management kext.

@Hervé Thanks for your reply.

I had iMac16,1 SMBIOS with @1Revenger1 ECEnabler kext as battery indicator running on HP 9470m Monterey Beta 4.

Which laptop SMBIOS should I try?

This ivy bridge laptop with HD4000 has been Post-Install Root Patched with OC 0.7.9

• Administrators

As stated above, you should be using the SMBIOS of a MBP9,2 or MBP10,2; this will require to add boot arg -no_compat_check and will block all future updates OTA. For Monterey updates, you'd have to switch back to the SMBIOS of a supported model (the iMac SMBIOS you currently use or MBP11,4/5, MBP12,1, etc.).

@Hervé

Battery indicator works more consistently on laptop SMBIOS. I choose SMBIOS MacBookPro13,1 in order for battery indicator to work. I have to revert to MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 because many apps like Whatsapp and VSCode crashed on Monterey 12.3.1 (clean installed or upgraded) with OC 0.8.0 and latest kexts.

Anyway, I have updated EFI

@yahgoo

hi whatsup is working fine for me on my 9470m  on 12.31

That is with Chris111 efi and files

what drive me crazy is the fan always on all the time and frequencies always @1.7 

I tried all the tricks but no luck

with Mojave powermanagment works like a beauty with only  xcpm but any os above not too good.

It's a shame coz is a nice laptop....but Mojave a bit old...

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 21.08.54.png